• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

dantebykiko

Reaction score
no worries lads, when i have time will post more photos as it's very boring and time consuming doing 1 by 1. also few days of break it's good =))

until i find something from s/s 04 i will have to do manage using my existing garments.

nn hat, yyph white shirt, y's wrap, rick owens cashmere leggings, cdgh boots.
(click)

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
Casual outfit for the day

Y's for men SS99 knit, but I have a feeling it may be AW05 ( MC-K16-186 ) 80/10/10 cotton/wool/cashmere, really thick yarn but knitted in a very loose mesh-like fashion so it feels chunky yet airy, you can see the Tee through it. Colour is kinda greenish black, lined front patch pocket, white accent on collar and pocket. Size 3 fits nicely, sleeves past knuckles. A match for any YYPH knit construction wise.

YYPH SS05 Look 11 Linen Jeans ( HY-P52-311 ) 100% linen, size 2 runs as long as runway so they are tailored. Tough yet cool linen fabric, light greyish in colour with a lovely crackled effect. Huge back pockets.

CDG H+ belt and black Timberland creepers.

Last edited:

Arche

Reaction score
The problem with a top 5 is that every time someone posts some new images I find another item that I love :) The suit below is definitely a grail for me now. Actually, it's a bit like a male version of that "curator" trench coat I posted earlier :) I don't have a moment right now to search back through earlier posts, but didn't Ivwri wear this, or something similar in an earlier pic?

davidlee388

Reaction score

The problem with a top 5 is that every time someone posts some new images I find another item that I love :) The suit below is definitely a grail for me now. Actually, it's a bit like a male version of that "curator" trench coat I posted earlier :) I don't have a moment right now to search back through earlier posts, but didn't Ivwri wear this, or something similar in an earlier pic? 

Arche, as I said earlier, your " grail " is a 3 piece set-up, a mutipocket pants ( you may find these on Y! ) a long blazer and a multi pocket vest worn over it. Look closely you'll see the double lapel at the front. Very cool and clever styling....I'll wear a Tee underneath though :D

davidlee388

Reaction score
Sun is out so a warm day for a change!

Front Reversed

YYPH SS00 Plaid Shirt Jacket ( HB-B50-200 ) 98/2 rayon/wool blend, fostered off Wire Artist. Think it's on Runway. Totally reversible with double-sided buttons. 6B closure, buttonless sleeves. The " right " side is dark greenish grey plaid throughout with 2 side pockets, the 2 inside pockets become the 2 additional front pockets when reversed. Collar, back panel become a multi-colour light plaid contrasting the darker front and sleeves. Very well made.

Vivienne Westwood Man SS11 low crotch pants, CDG H+ belt, Timberland creepers

davidlee388

Reaction score
confused.gif
error

Last edited:

syed

Reaction score
Kiko fit + David fit. Love the diversity in style between you guys, it really does make me think more about the breadth of Yohji's output and the possibilities of individual styling. I always find it amusing when people say so-and-so-designer always looks the same, when in reality it is usually because people are too afraid to make the styling their own, after seeing a singular example set out on the runway. You guys look so different but there is still that same spirit, for want of a better word.

Something I seem to see quite a lot, especially on forums, is the idea that trying to make something your own is seen as somehow moving away from the designer's "vision". I've never quite understood that, because as much as the designer puts into the garment, it only really comes 'alive' once worn by someone. That being said, I prefer someone who is comfortable with a designer and their style of work (as is usually the case with Yohji fans thankfully), rather than someone who forces a garment that doesn't quite work for them.

Oh and David, you're really making me want to go try on a ton of VW stuff now :rotflmao: I'm thinking I will start looking into her work in greater depth, just because I'm not that well versed in her oeuvre, and I'd be interested to compare her process and work to Yohji's.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

love that shirt jacket!

dantebykiko

Reaction score

http://vimeo.com/45585738

now sure if those are posted but they been uploaded 2 days ago on Atelier 32 Vimeo page. i will edit the post tomorrow as i'm in rush now.

i found this few days ago too:

http://vimeo.com/20922867 - "To coincide with the retrospective exhibition of Yohji Yamamoto’s work at the V&A, SHOWstudio.com showcases a unique discussion between three collaborators who helped shape the visual identity of Yamamoto in the 1980s. In this 50-minute film shot in the V&A's Norfolk House Music room, art director Marc Ascoli, fashion photographer Nick Knight and graphic designer and art director Peter Saville are in conversation with London College of Fashion curator Magdalene Keaney."

esox

Reaction score
i found some old catalogues of yohji.
at this time he was more generous with advertising stuff. this year i have seen nothing at the flagship store in tokyo. :-(

yy fw 98/99
yy fw 99/00
yy spring 99
yy spring 2000
y's for men 2000

i dont no if there are already posted. if someone is interested i could take some pics.

davidlee388

Reaction score
i found some old catalogues of yohji.
at this time he was more generous with advertising stuff. this year i have seen nothing at the flagship store in tokyo. :-(

yy fw 98/99
yy fw 99/00
yy spring 99
yy spring 2000
y's for men 2000

i dont no if there are already posted. if someone is interested i could take some pics.
Yes please
nod[1].gif

valter

Reaction score
Just found this photo from Monsieur Jerome website. This is what I wore to the Yohji S/S2013 presentation. Actually almost the same that I wore in my first fit pic I posted here.

Wool felt hat, wool gabardine “Yohji jacket”, wool gabardine waistcoat, white cotton button-up shirt (with collar and cuffs detached), leather belt, wool gabardine hakama, wool gabardine bag, all by Yohji Yamamoto. The boots are from the beginning of the 20th century.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads