• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

dantebykiko

Reaction score
saw that couple of days ago. will pass, i'm aiming for printed trousers.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
if my ann d floral trousers fit more like yohji they'd be the perfect trouser, damn it.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

one jacket is here to find. if someone is interested. :)

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h162681873

Yeah this has been on for at least a couple of months now, not sure why no one's picking it up. It's not my size, otherwise I might've. Love this pattern, I'm still after the shorts from L1. Wouldn't mind the suit either, and this cut would work better for me than the db I think.

i was thinking about this the other day while wearing the hakamas. when i looked down for a sec as I was walking I felt as if there were jelly fish propelling my legs forward. this might be the most bizarre post i've made on SF :laugh:
maybe if i film it it makes more sense ...
gif-jellyfish-sea-water-Favim.com-231876_large.gif

That's a good description, hehe. I know exactly what you mean... I think

I read somewhere he wanted to make a psychedelic flower print collection as some kind of statement following the restructuring. Aw10 was his sort of return to form (and saleability), and ss11 was then a conceptual about face.

Makes sense to me that he wanted to go more conceptual after the (terrific) best-of of aw10. He did the psychedelic prints for women's ss11. Speaking of non-daring/"wearable" collections, man, aw10 was soo damn good on the racks despite being less adventurous. I'd be set for life with that collection in my closet.

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
Yeah this has been on for at least a couple of months now, not sure why no one's picking it up. It's not my size, otherwise I might've. Love this pattern, I'm still after the shorts from L1. Wouldn't mind the suit either, and this cut would work better for me than the db I think.
That's a good description, hehe. I know exactly what you mean... I think
Makes sense to me that he wanted to go more conceptual after the (terrific) best-of of aw10. He did the psychedelic prints for women's ss11. Speaking of non-daring/"wearable" collections, man, aw10 was soo damn good on the racks despite being less adventurous. I'd be set for life with that collection in my closet.
"cool" people won't agree with you about aw10....

davidlee388

Reaction score
"cool" people won't agree with you about aw10....

AW10 is definitely cool. I remember visiting Conduit Street after the SS10 sale when the store received a special delivery of the pieces from the 4.1 The Men show before the main AW10 collection arrived later. The long coat, the " warrior jacket " ( that's what it's called by Conduit ) worn in the middle of the show when the men doing the poses, the Silk Chinese ( Japanese? ) traditional uniform worn by the old man, the camouflage blazers were all there. In size 3....none of them fitted me...gutted....they were all gone within weeks . A lot of the non-runway/non studio presentation stuff seen in the shop are seldom in auctions either.

syed

Reaction score
I have a huge soft spot for florals. Really want those trousers from Look 3 (although I'm still curious about the Ann FW08 hydrangea trousers).

My brother is also a Yohji fan, so I thought I'd throw in a fit pic I took of him today.

(side view of pocket arrangement with the trousers laid flat)

The longsleeve t-shirt is SS11, made from 075 cotton. It feels incredibly soft, with a texture kinda like fleece, but it is really lightweight. Bit weird that he has a FW11 longsleeve using the same 075 cotton, but that feels completely different - a heavy t-shirt material that is soft, but not as soft as this one. The trousers are SS12, made from 017 cotton. The SA at the Conduit store described the material as being like shirting cotton, and that's pretty much the most accurate description I can think of. The material falls really nicely, and the trousers are cut quite wide in the waist, with double pleats and a slight taper. Cardigan is just a lambswool from Uniqlo, and the shoes are Spring Courts.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
while still on a/w09 talks. tesco finest shopping with my h&m long robe, yyph short jacket with gathering on the back, y's a/w 2003 wool trousers and docs.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The longsleeve t-shirt is SS11, made from 075 cotton. It feels incredibly soft, with a texture kinda like fleece, but it is really lightweight. Bit weird that he has a FW11 longsleeve using the same 075 cotton, but that feels completely different - a heavy t-shirt material that is soft, but not as soft as this one. The trousers are SS12, made from 017 cotton. The SA at the Conduit store described the material as being like shirting cotton, and that's pretty much the most accurate description I can think of. The material falls really nicely, and the trousers are cut quite wide in the waist, with double pleats and a slight taper. Cardigan is just a lambswool from Uniqlo, and the shoes are Spring Courts.

Not to bring this up again (well... hehe) but are you sure it's the same cotton? Fabric codes are definitely not season cross-over. Trousers sound interesting, is the fabric delicate? They look really good bunched up across the waist like that, nice cut. Good simple fit overall!

syed

Reaction score
^ In which case ignore what I said! I was wondering how the cotton was so different despite being the same code. Makes sense now that I think about it :facepalm: And the trousers don't feel that delicate at all actually, they feel like a substantial shirt (well obviously not the same as an oxford or broad cloth, but pretty solid all the same). Creases easily but I can't imagine getting holes in them would be that easy!

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't type much cos on phone, but just wanted to say that from the fabric code spreadsheet I got up, it seems that code numbers repeat but represent different fabric compositions across different seasons. You guys should check it out if interested and contribute :p. It's on the first post.

Great fits as well kiko. Good stuff.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

Not to bring this up again (well... hehe) but are you sure it's the same cotton? Fabric codes are definitely not season cross-over. Trousers sound interesting, is the fabric delicate? They look really good bunched up across the waist like that, nice cut. Good simple fit overall!

Well Asobu, whether these codes are relevant across seasons, it's still interesting to archive them ( Ivwri's the man! ) and note how serious Yohji is in choosing fabrics for his clothes. There is a fabric I came across with ONE % polyurethane in it ( a SS09 pant, 010 ), what that tiniest % of that material does to a fabric, maybe someone has a textile background can explain, but it's fascinating all the same.

To further cause controversy, the SS07 Look 2 suit has different rayon/ramie blend codes ( same season ) for the blazer and pants ( 224 & 203 respectively ) but the exact same composition. Maybe to do with the different thickness. Perhaps syed had a point...

davidlee388

Reaction score

Can't type much cos on phone, but just wanted to say that from the fabric code spreadsheet I got up, it seems that code numbers repeat but represent different fabric compositions across different seasons. You guys should check it out if interested and contribute :p. It's on the first post.
Great fits as well kiko. Good stuff.

You are making this thread at the top of Google search Ivwri, if there's an Oscar for dedication to appraise Yohji's work, you've won it :nodding:

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well Asobu, whether these codes are relevant across seasons, it's still interesting to archive them ( Ivwri's the man! ) and note how serious Yohji is in choosing fabrics for his clothes. There is a fabric I came across with ONE % polyurethane in it ( a SS09 pant, 010 ), what that tiniest % of that material does to a fabric, maybe someone has a textile background can explain, but it's fascinating all the same.
To further cause controversy, the SS07 Look 2 suit has different rayon/ramie blend codes ( same season ) for the blazer and pants ( 224 & 203 respectively ) but the exact same composition. Maybe to do with the different thickness. Perhaps syed had a point...

Hehe, well, I don't want to get into a debate about this but my comment this time wasn't related to whether it's not worth archiving them or not, I just wanted to bring up that I don't think those cotton fabrics (despite both being 100% I assume) would be the same even though they share the same composition. However, like Ivwri also confirmed, it's good to know this so you guys can detail the season when archiving these codes since they can vary - as you already made clear in this post, as 010 for instance is used for different fabrics in several seasons.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
another short video of the SS13 show. a few different looks than the marie-claire version. and I was wrong, there were hats. they just all turned up at the end. :)
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics