Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

I saw one of the models on the runway wearing them slightly cropped and they looked better to me than stacked so it gave me the confidence to try out the size 3. The material is a wool and nylon blend (78% wool 22% nylon).

2. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Yeah, that's what has been holding me back on pulling the trigger. Well, will keep looking.

3. Nil

Nil Senior member

A-ha! That looks like the matching jacket to those pants with the silk organza stripe I have.

4. asobu

asobu Senior member

^Yes, they are indeed! The fabric is different (your pants are cotton I believe?) but I'm pretty sure they're the ones paired with this jacket on the runway. Love the silk organza detail :slayer:

5. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Have only ever seen the jacket, but yeah I really like that silk organza stuff as well. Shame it is difficult to capture in photos. Would require a proper close-up from the right angle I guess.

I was chatting with Parker over PM and he brought up a point about Yohji's clothing being a great conversation starter. Do you guys find that as well? I tend to find myself discussing pieces of his clothing with people at least once or twice a week as various people notice details and such that make them ask questions (beyond the usual "nice jacket", "you seem to really like black", "is that a skirt?" sort of comments, hehe). It's also helping me find all the closet fashion and style fiends in my social circle. Would have never discovered that one of the people who gave my company our first break used to collect sneakers (she had over 100 pairs!) and later Chanel handbags and vintage Nigerian clothing if we didn't get talking over the pair of SS08 ronin suspender pants I was wearing at the time.

I guess this could go for other designers discussed on the forum, but I have definitely gotten more discussions out of Yohji stuff than any other designer stuff I have owned. Guess the other stuff blends in better.

6. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a traditional navy Mac style raincoat but it's probably not quite a great mesh with other yohji stuff. Here's a few coats from past YY seasons that look like they could be raincoats, not really sure of the fabrics. I also really like the non-black color palette here.

more formal
    [​IMG]

more casual
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

This Siki Im coat is pretty cool for a less traditional look. Would work with more of a black + white yohji palette.

re: Yohji stuff being convo starters. I've defintiely noticed it. Mostly because there is always some interesting, tactile detail that draws people in. Or something that's really out of the ordinary, like super wide leg pants that seem to go against all current trends. Or a funny sweater. I'm sure Fumma's "Girls" sweater gets people started. ;-) speaking of... that alien sweater in the last post is pretty cool.

8. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions Parker. Don't know how I never noticed that coat in the second pic. Would be very interested in finding out what materials went into that. Looks like some tech fabrics mixed with boiled wool? The siki im coat looks pretty cool, my only problem are the sleeve cuffs. Their shape bugs me for some reason, lol.

9. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Was going through my tumblr doing some tag editing and came across this image. Not sure it has been posted here before? Really like the prints in this collection. Been liking text less and less, but here they evoke something very cool to me. Almost like a version of the future where people went around with relevant information displayed on their outfits for others to see. Maybe it's the typography? The all white and off-white looks are really great too.

[​IMG]

Been thinking about what I would like to see next from Yohji after going through a lot of the pictures here and reading up on some other designers I like and find interesting and I think I would really like to see a futuristic (or maybe retro-futurist?) collection from Yohji. Something hyper modern with strange lines and angles and cool materials. Something along the lines of the fabrics Jun Takahashi used in one of his Fall.Winter collections that had great temperature properties for keeping people warm and things like that. Or like Carol Christian Poell using light reflective fabric to make coats. Unusual and unexpected fabrics leaning more on the 'tech' side of things.

EDIT - Guess I would be interested in seeing more stuff like this from Yohji in the coming years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. colabear

colabear Senior member

break me off a BIG piece of that! :embar:

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

May have found my "in" and could be making my first Yohji purchase soon. Actually found a few things I really loved when I tried them on. We'll see...:satisfied:

12. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

@ colabear :embar: :lol:
    @p4 what did you try on? Was it current season stuff or some older items? Don't keep us in suspense dammit :slayer:

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

What a tease pickpack!

14. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Current season pieces. A pair of wool (gab iirc) cropped pants and two cotton jersey shirts. Want all of it, but I have to choose one. :)

15. Ivwri

Ivwri Senior member

Ah ok, well I guess you would know best which of the pieces would fit in your wardrobe best (but I am partial to wool gab pants, hehe.). Take pics and post on here whichever one you choose.