1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by GQ Tiger, Jun 15, 2002.

1. GQ Tiger

GQ Tiger Member

Hey fellas, anyone here have experience with yoga? I've been thinking that I could use a little stress relief here lately and yoga popped into my head. Now, I'm totally new to the subject, but I think it would work well for me. The increase in flexability would be nice too. Are there any things I need to be aware of before I start? Any "styles" that are better for beginners? Thanks...

I've taken the whole "consult a physician before starting a new program" precautions already.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

GQT:

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I have a friend who's practiced for 20 years and really swears by it.

The guru these days is supposed to be a guy named Rodney Yee, who has a studio here in Oakland. Google him.

I'll also keep you posted on my progress if you'd like.

3. DallasBoy

DallasBoy Member

I love yoga. I used to do it several times a week but now am down to maybe once a week. The classes are great, just ask if a particular class is okay for beginners. Get there early so you can get a spot you like. If it's your first time, you don't want to be right in front where everyone can see you because you may feel self-conscious and that would defeat the purpose.

I also do yoga at home. I started out with a DVD but once I learned the basic poses, I just put on some music and go. It's GREAT for stress relief. You will feel amazing afterwards.

It's a lot harder than most people think.

Good luck.

4. Yoss34

Yoss34 New Member

Yoga is an exercise which keeps our mind and body healthy and good. I too love to do yoga routine. I got complete information from the site http://www.yogasuppliesonline.com/ which my friend suggested to me to know about the yoga and its types. They provided me a very good and complete information about yoga. Thank you for such a nice post and information....

5. youdee

youdee Well-Known Member

Yoga is one of my favourite ways to work out; you get strength training, an increase in flexibility and stress relief all in one go! I supplement regular yoga with Bikram yoga every week or two for something a little more intense. A few tips:
    • Buy a yoga dvd that has a section for beginners. Most dvds have 3 people doing yoga on them and you copy the one for your experience level; beginner, intermediate and expert. That'll give you a good idea of what to expect at a class and give you a chance to try a few things out in private first.
    • Buy some decent yoga clothes. You're going to be bent in a lot of different positions, shorts + boxers = exposed junk.
    • Don't eat for 1 or 2 hours before yoga, you'll need to be nimble and alert - not heavy and sluggish.
    • Hatha, or gentle, yoga is great for beginners. Most types have variations for beginners though so just look around for something you like the sound of. Start off slowly though, this is a whole new kind of exercise.