• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yoga!

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm just starting yoga.

after the first day, my unused muscles were sore all over. it was a good feeling.

anyone have experience, perspectives, etc? what style(s) have you studied? any recommended reading?

thanks

/andrew

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
i'm just starting yoga.

after the first day, my unused muscles were sore all over. it was a good feeling.

anyone have experience, perspectives, etc? what style(s) have you studied? any recommended reading?

thanks

/andrew

Astanga / Vinyasa yoga kicks ass.

David Swenson and John Scott have some good books with all the positions and their descriptions.

Yoga will give core strength, burn calories, stretch everything (you'll feel really good / tired after every practice), and will calm the mind (not being hokie - it really does).

Plus, you can do it at home as you get used to the patterns.

But, beware! It is addicting and once you do it a couple of times and see what it feels like, your body will crave more.

I played sports for most of my life (Ice Hockey and others) and I wish I would have done something like this to gain flexibility, strength, and balance out all of the damage I did.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
.... But, beware! It is addicting and once you do it a couple of times and see what it feels like, your body will crave more. ....
thanks addiction is what i'm looking for; i've been out of the exercise world for too long, so i can use all the built-in motivation i can get.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, it's a great place to meet women (if you're single). And I don't mean that in a creepy, hang out at the yoga studio to meet chicks kinda way. Women (and men) there are in somewhat good shape, accessible, and usually have some interest in some kind of spirituality or well being. It usually adds up to some nice conversations with men or women (whether or not you're single).

Bad thing is there aren't many guys that do it. I prefer hanging out with the guys but there is usually a 3 to 10 ratio of men to women (which doesn't really make a difference after the class starts). I wish more guys did it but I think the general male population still thinks negatively of yoga or thinks that it's wimpy.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yoga: Path to Holistic Health by Iyengar is a great book. Lots and lots of 360 degree photos for the asanas. Of course it is not as good as a teacher, but it is probably the closest you'll come to from a book. The only thing I dislike about it, is that all of the asanas only have the indian names...not the english. I also really liked Hittleman's book. As old and cheesy as it is, it is a GREAT beginning reference! I love yoga because I am able to find the exact point where pain and pleasure intersect while doing the Asanas. Also, a little trick, while you are holding/stretching a position...you are able to stretch ever so slightly more as you exhale. Try it! You can make massive improvements in a matter of days!

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good teacher is certainly the key! I had an amazing Iyengar teacher (they are always well-trained as the certification process is quite intensive) whose verbal cues were incredible. She called them "fine points". Usually in Hatha classes (hatha is the branch of yoga concerned with asanas) Lately I have been practicing Vinyasa-style yoga, and most of the time Astanga Primary and Second series. I do enjoy the more aerobic workout that I get with this style, though I don't think that I would get nearly as much out of it if I hadn't learned to adjust my Asanas well from my Iyengar teacher. I like to stay away from Bikram, but mainly because it rubs me the wrong way (yoga competitions and patented sequencing) some people really love the sauna/yoga combination. It is true that there aren't (proportionally) many men who practice yoga in the states. Most, but not all, of those who do are hippies, gay or both (honestly, I've been in the scene for a while). I think this "safe" culture is attractive to many women. This is a bit funny to me as yoga was exclusively taught to men, handed down from Brahmin teacher to Brahmin student for centuries, until BKS Iyengar and Patabi (sp) Jois began teaching group classes in the 20th century. In general, don't most guys eschew group exercise classes? As for books, Iyengar's Light on Yoga is a classic, and has some good courses to follow at home. Swenson's Practice Manual (mentioned above) is great for students of Astanga, but a good teacher who can adjust your postures is essential to a developing practice. Practicing at home is definitely important, but even with Primary series, I find that I prefer the class setting because it keeps my mind focused and prevents me from being lazy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jen
I like to stay away from Bikram, but mainly because it rubs me the wrong way (yoga competitions and patented sequencing)

I have never felt the compulsion to learn yoga. However, if I was to, I would practice Bikram for these very same reasons. Yoga showdown sounds sort of cool. Like Breakdance fighting. And I like the idea of a trash talking, ass kicking Yogi
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a fan of Anusara and it's 'coils'.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's more important to find a good teacher than a particular style. My teacher teaches a vinyasa/flow-style class. She's a modern dancer, so she approaches the practice with a more mechanical than spiritual intent, which is perfect for me.

Also, have patience: it takes a bit of time to see progress.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
And I like the idea of a trash talking, ass kicking Yogi
smile.gif

In Streetfighter 2, they can levitate and shoot fireballs, too.

--Andre

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I like the idea of a trash talking, ass kicking Yogi
smile.gif

yogisteals.jpg

"You're a punk, Park Ranger! Hah -- you can't catch me, can you? I'm right here -- what you gonna do, huh punk? Hey, y'know who made this sandwich for me? Yo' momma! She made it for me this morning to thank me for last night!"

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my wife prefers Bikram's style. i dunno, i don't want to sweat quite that much. i do well enough in that regard with the room at normal temps. when i studied kung fu i called my profuse perspiration my 'force field', because nobody wanted to touch me. well, that, and i was bigger than almost everyone else.

because of my schedule it looks like i'll be practicing with a couple different instructors. the guy i went to today focused a lot on pranayama. the girl at last saturday's class seemed to be more into balance, and also she had the room temp high (not as high as Bikram though).

but both classes the studio just calls 'Hatha', which is a little generic.

I have to get familiar with all the indian asana names, as that's what the instructors tend to use. (hey, just a week or two ago i didn't know what asana even referred to.)

AdamG

Reaction score
I have never felt the compulsion to learn yoga. However, if I was to, I would practice Bikram for these very same reasons. Yoga showdown sounds sort of cool. Like Breakdance fighting. And I like the idea of a trash talking, ass kicking Yogi
smile.gif

Like this dude, the "Iron Yogi"

home-main.jpg

sonteq

Reaction score
I've been doing Bikram Yoga for about 2 weeks now and it's a really good work out. I think it's helped with my cardio on the other sports I do (running and BJJ)

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i loved yoga the first time i did it, but i went to a total of maybe 20 classes afterwards, and never felt the same results as that first class. i've decided it's not for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads