• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yet another wardrobe upgrade advice thread

vantheman

Reaction score
This may be beaten to death, but I wanted to reiterate Banana Republic for your size. I have the exact same size and features that you do, and BR makes a lot of clothes for men designed to fit a smaller frame and still look good. I've shopped there on a college budget for a couple of years, especially during sales.

pstoller

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go with the gray Canali w/ french cuffs. It should make a great formal shirt, but I did a little reading and it says that french cuffs should not be worn without a tie or suit/jacket, and I would like to know if it's reasonably possible to pull off french cuffs in say, a business casual setting or casual eveningwear ensemble with slacks/khakis.
I would say "no" to business casual, where the key to looking good is to work creatively (or at least selectively) within the relaxed rules, rather than breaking them. For a casual evening out, you can swing French cuffs without jacket or tie, but I'd draw the line at pairing them with khakis, which are neither as slick as upscale trousers nor as devil-may-care funky as jeans. (I wouldn't wear gray w/khaki, anyway...but, remember, these are just things that I would or wouldn't do; maybe you can pull off that look.)
I'm thinking about bidding on something like this shirt on ebay, but don't really have a clue as to how much money it would be worth
Outside of the couture line (of which this shirt is not a part), Burberry's shirts are nothing special, in my opinion, especially if you're not going for the trademarked plaid. (You can probably do at least as well with, say, J. Crew.) That's not to say you wouldn't get your money's worth for the $20 opening bid, but I wouldn't get into a bidding war over it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks