• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yet another Tux comparison thread...

PTVA

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in need of a classic tux. I've done some searching and i think i have narrowed it down to rtw martin greenfield (like this if i can find it http://www.gilt.com/brand/martin-greenfield/product/98004629-martin-greenfield-wool-tuxedo) or the suitsupply option (http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-black-plain-tuxedo-p1109ae/P1109AE,en_US,pd.html?start=2&cgid=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Evening-Tuxedo).

Can anyone give me a reason to go one route or the other? Positives of the suitsupply option are that i can try it on at my local store (Philadelphia). Also, if anyone has another suggestion, I would be more than willing to spend up to $1500 +- for the right thing.

For some background-- RLBL fit me very well otr with some minor slimming tweaks. I typically wear a 38R if anyone has something they are looking to sell.

Thanks for the info.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suit Supply tux you posted is MUCH better than that high button Greenfield number.

Both jackets look quite short though

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the SuitSupply. It ticks all the boxes, and being able to try them on first is invaluable.

PTVA

Reaction score
My only holdup with the suit supply option is it's lack of detailing and i think i would prefer grosgrain to stain. Any other suggestions? Thanks again for the info.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the grosgrain vs satin issue is your biggest hangup, you're doing pretty well. Go try on the SS, if it fits, you could do far, far worse.

I wonder if the Greenfield one is as fashiony as that photo lets on, or if it's just been overly styled. I always thought they were supposed to make pretty good, fairly classic stuff. Guess this could be some diffusion line or something.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 106 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 92 29.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%