• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another suit critique

tricky P

Reaction score
went for a more 'traditional' cut/fit - i know its not perfect (nice arm roll) but its my first suit and i want to get some feedback before i go back to the tailors. Experts (or at least enthusiasts) let me know what you think! - thanks

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the creases on your back, the back of your sleeves and the back of your pants....too much creases in the whole back view

tricky P

Reaction score
can you elaborate as to why? this is by no means my last so I wouldn't mind some pointers. i have searched around and read the guides here on the forum, but its hard to put general guides into practice i guess.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is classic example of a suit that looks mediocre in static view, but probably looks fine or great in motion.

The upper sleeves and upper trouser show a lot of bagginess, point that out to a good alterationist to fix, they'll probably trim up the area or iron out the faults.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
It looks fine in the front, but kind of weird in the back.

tricky P

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the responses. frankly, i can settle with mediocre for now. I was looking more for just a more conservative workhorse that i could wear to weddings/graduations/etc... after buying it i have to say that i am addicted now and will be seeking more adventurous cuts to play with. i just want to make sure its fitting 'correctly' and get it to a good place. thanks

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky P
thanks everyone for the responses. frankly, i can settle with mediocre for now. I was looking more for just a more conservative workhorse that i could wear to weddings/graduations/etc... after buying it i have to say that i am addicted now and will be seeking more adventurous cuts to play with. i just want to make sure its fitting 'correctly' and get it to a good place. thanks

See if your tailor can take in the back into the shoulder seams.

S. Able

Reaction score
It may sound a tad weird, but I would have it pressed again, wear it a couple of times, and take more pictures. These things seem to settle a bit over time. Don't ask me why. The areas that can create the most problems (shoulder and chest) seem to be okay (at least from these two pictures). A good alterations tailor should be able to clean up a lot of the excess fabric and give the jacket a bit more shape. Good luck.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you the invisable man? lol just kidding, the suit looks great but you need to unbutton the bottom button that is a huge style no no.

GucciKid

Reaction score
The button stance is a bit high and the jacket is a bit too long.

It is also too loose in the waist area, as well as a bit too loose in the chest.

The shoulders don't look bad. Maybe a touch wide, but only a touch.

If you get the waist taken in it will look pretty decent. You could probably also shorten the jacket a touch, but it's up to you whether that would be worth the money.

If this is OTR it's not too bad. Tough to judge the pants without a side angle shot.

tricky P

Reaction score
thanks for the crits everyone -

@bowtielover - having a little fun with 'content aware fill' from photoshop cs5 - if you ever use photoshop you should check out this demo: seriously cuts my work time in half at least!

it sounds like waist suppression is priority 1. as far as shortening the jacket - any ideas on how much that would run?

GucciKid

Reaction score
Maybe $40-50, but I really have no idea.

It's not a huge deal, nor does it need to be shortened that much, but I definitely do feel that it will look sharper with 3/4 of an inch or so taken off, which will also help the button stance look a bit better.

Even if you just have the waist taken in the jacket will be a pretty decent effort IMO for off the rack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads