1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another Shoe Identification Request

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by westling, Dec 20, 2012.

1. westling

westling Well-Known Member

Subject of this thread says it all. I picked up this pair of longwings at a small thrift store where they were dropped off with a pair each of Florsheim Imperials, Johnston & Murphy, and Allen McAfees.

[​IMG]

Not much to see on the outsoles:
    [​IMG]

Nice brouging:
    [​IMG]

Size and last are clearly visible.
    [​IMG]

Anything directly down on the insole has worn off, but if you look deep into the shoe you can see this:
    [​IMG]

Any information or guesses would be appreciated!

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

The shoes I am unsure of. Your avatar photo, if I am not mistaken, is from the wonderous and auspicious Overlook Hotel July 4th Ball of, was it not 1921? My compliments.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

They look like Cheaney to me...

4. westling

Thank you. Jack would be pleased.

5. westling

Thanks, I'll dig more into this. I just sent an email to Cheaney Shoes Limited with these pictures, asking for assistance, and got an auto-reply that the factory was closed until the New Year. If I find out more from them, I'll update this thread.

6. driftking

driftking Well-Known Member

Your shoes are made by Royal Tweed Premium, in England.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  7. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I second Cheaney: only Cheaney stamps his insoles with (what looks like) "Made in Leather Insoles England".

I cannot see the name Tweed in the shoes (picture of 'sock' is missing. But Tweed was a range (I believe their top range) Cheaney produced and marketed in the 1980s. So, the shoes might have come in Cheaney's Tweed collection.

8. westling

driftking and bengal-stripe,

Many thanks! With that extra information, I found several examples of other Tweed by Cheaney shoes that have last/number stamps in an identical format; for example, this one.

On one of the shoes there was only the tiniest bit of writing left at the top of the insole, so little that I didn't try to take a picture of it. (It was basically a "CH" and what appeared to be a Gothic letter "P".) I can now tell that I'm looking at "(a division of) CHURCH"S SHOES" and "PREMIUM GRADE".

These are great looking shoes, unfortunately a little tight around the toes for me. I'm going to wear them around for a while to see if they loosen up. I've never stretched a shoe before; these might be the first.