• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another shaving thread; what more do you need to know? just click it, soldier!

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gentlemen what's up

so anyway i started shaving with double-edged razors four months ago. i have some questions:

for one thing, i don't seem to be getting as close a shave as i want. how can i get a closer shave? is it equipment-related? i'm using a cheap gillette handle, with cheap stainless-steel razors, and a round blue plastic container of hardened shaving cream (add water and lather, bravo!). not exactly the most professional setup, i know

i went to a nearby barbershop and got a shave once, and it was extremely good, MUCH closer than my at-home shaves. i asked my dad (35 years of shaving) why the barbershop shave was better. he laughed and said "i've been asking that question for years. nobody can match a barber's shave. it's impossible." i didnt appreciate his mystic endorsement of the shave - can you guys provide more info?

the barber did use a straight razor instead of a double-edge, and he sort of ATTACKED my face. he scraped the razor against my skin at a 90-degree angle, which left me sort of sore. should i use his method and brutalize my face as well?

thanks for anyone who actually read this

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
should i use his method and brutalize my face as well?
you have more experience with the DE than i have, but my intuition tells me that face brutalization = butchered-baby-smooth skin. i would rather have slight stubble than hamburger face. i would try upgrading blades for starters. i like merkur blades, but that's all i have tried. i swap them out after two shaves to be sure that i'm working w/ max sharpness.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah the "hamburger face" thing raises another question - how do i make sure my face remains smooth, goddamnit. i don't want to ruin my skin. is this possible to do without using other skincare products, or do i have to spring for something that moisturizes or exfoliates or whatever the hell the new buzzword is

and hey thanks for the links, homme

Reaction score
i find that the shaving brush exfoliates well. the razor does its part scraping dead skin off your face. i use nivea aftershave balm to moisturize. drink lots of water.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had a barber shave before, but honestly, a bit of stubble > raw face.

I usually shave right after a hot shower. I don't need to shave every day, so I do it every second or 3rd day. That gives my skin some time to recover from my last razor attack. Right after the shower, I use some basic moisturizer... usually Moisturel, or something non-clogging. This lubes up the face for action I find. Apply the shaving foam/lotion, then wash off with cold water, and reapply the moisturizer (especially in winter). Works fine for me.

Reaction score
try proraso products (available in spa section of target)

i like the preshave stuff and the shave cream. i apply a little bit of vegetable glyerin to my beard before applying the cream to increase lubricity.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FriscoSoxFan
Feather blades:

http://www.cottonblossomcrafts.com/shave_page_9.htm

Once you go feather, you never go back. All other blades will feel like you are hacking at your face with a piece of crudely sharpened flint.

I have to agree there. I have tried so far Feather Platinum, Israel-made Personna, Merkur Platinum (IIIRC), Sweden-made Gilette blades. I keep finding that the VERY sharp Feather blades work best for my coarse hair.
Here is a good idea:
Get a sample pack of blades. I did that. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/vie...er=asc&start=0
I have yet to try the Derby. Call me weird but I feel uncomfortable using Turkish blades. But on a more serious note, the Derby from what I have read are better suited to people with less coarse hair than I so I wopuld probably not do too well with them. The Gilette were dissappointing, I liked the Personna though.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I have yet to try the Derby. Call me weird but I feel uncomfortable using Turkish blades. But on a more serious note, the Derby from what I have read are better suited to people with less coarse hair than I so I wopuld probably not do too well with them. The Gilette were dissappointing, I liked the Personna though.
Derby is less "sharp" than some of the others (Merkur, etc.) and is made for more sensitive skin, such as my own. Feathers and Merkurs are that little tiny bit too sharp for me......did more cutting than shaving.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Derby is less "sharp" than some of the others (Merkur, etc.) and is made for more sensitive skin, such as my own. Feathers and Merkurs are that little tiny bit too sharp for me......did more cutting than shaving.

Have you tried those much-vaunted Sweden-sourced Gilette blades? I really dislike them. More burns and uneven shaving than almost anything else even if they are suppossed to be sharp and smooth-shaving.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RIght... if I recall correctly I have 1-2 sealed 10 packs of Merkur blades and one sealed (I think 10-pack) of Derby. If anyone is curious about either, PM me and I'll arrange to have them mailed to you. I'll doubl echeck on the sizes when I get home.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Make sure the angle is correct, not too agressive. And NO pressure against your face! The razor should glide over it and just cut hair. If you are getting hamburger face you are either pressing down without knowing it, or the angle is too aggressive. If you want the baby butt smooth face..do one pass with the grain (north to south), then re-lather and do a second pass against the grain (south to north). Wallah!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads