• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another "Please critique my suit, SF pros!"

heebalabala

Reaction score
Longtime reader, first-time poster. I would very much appreciate your keen eyes and constructive feedback on the fit and style of this OTR suit, which I received as a holiday gift. I don't have an emotional attachment to it, but I do have an emotional attachment to the gift-giver, so I would like to make it work if I can. I'm a bit on the fence about it -- while the color seems to be workable, it's a bit fashion-forward with the narrow lapels and shorter jacket length, and I'm aware it's doing some weird things on the arms near the shoulder. Those lines are apparently where the shoulder padding ends -- not sure if anything can be done for that. Note that I haven't clipped the thread holding the vents together, but it is double-vented. Any other constructive feedback or comments would be appreciated. (Yes, I know I need to upgrade the shoes.) I would wear this occasionally for business functions as needed (I'm in manufacturing and live in Texas) or social events requiring a suit, probably less than six times a year. Unfortunately my budget is modest; I can put some money into tailoring this suit if it would improve it but it would be difficult for me to buy a new suit right now, even a discounted OTR. Thanks in advance for your help!
4238010657_e0c4f1befa_o.jpg
4238010661_8be1a296e9_o.jpg
4238010673_f80c28f61a_o.jpg
4238010653_37774894eb_o.jpg

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great (including the shoes).

mco543

Reaction score
It looks better than probably any other "critique my fit" thread. Excellent suit, can we have details please?

stmny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
I think it looks great (including the shoes).

Agreed, it looks and fits you great. Perhaps the suit could use a press. Details?

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ +1. Maybe not necessarily a "winter" suit but the fit (and shoes) look great.

Oh, and Welcome to SF! (and run like hell if you really can't afford another suit)
teacha.gif

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's off the rack, but fits appropiately.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit looks fine to me. Get it nicely pressed and it will look even better. Wear it in good health
biggrin.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad at all. Sleeves are good, pant leg is good. The seat looks like it may have some extra fabric in it but it's hard to tell with the jacket on, but that should be an easy fix. The shoulders and sleeves do look a little strange to me, but I don't know why. It actually looks like one of your shoulders (your left) is higher than the other. It that it the case, I will let others weigh in on what a tailor should do for it.

Overall, it looks good, and I don't thing it is too "fashion forward" at all.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clip the basting threads on the vents! The jacket appears a little large in the chest/back. The sleeve length is fine, the jacket length is a little short. That said, I wish the first suit I bought looked and fit as well as yours does. Best shoes ever on one of these "fit of my first suit" threads.
Oh, and of course, you need to get the pants hemmed a little higher.

korektphool

Reaction score
That's OTR? It fits magnificently! Maybe taper the end of the trousers if you want, but other than that it fits really well.

heebalabala

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone (and thank you for the kind welcome, Faded501s); I'm encouraged by the positive views of the fit. Perhaps a pressing would help the creases on the arms near the shoulders? I was thinking it wouldn't since it seems to be caused by the padding. Perhaps I can live with it given the circumstances.

For those interested in the details, it's a BR Monogram shadowplaid F09. Cloth is Lanificio Cerruti. I don't see this suit online @ BR so can't link to it, but it was purchased in-store. The jacket was $425 list but found on a sale rack for $150; trousers were list $200 but found for $120. Great bargain and a generous gift.

heebalabala

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Clip the basting threads on the vents! The jacket appears a little large in the chest/back. The sleeve length is fine, the jacket length is a little short. That said, I wish the first suit I bought looked and fit as well as yours does. Best shoes ever on one of these "fit of my first suit" threads.
Believe me, they'll get clipped if I keep it -- just haven't yet in case I decided to return. The length was a concern -- I thought it was a little short as well. Thanks for the feedback, and the kind words on the shoes.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i prefer a slim fit and thought that the chest and waist are a little loose. you could probably have them taken in at a tailor.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost bought this suit, as I had been a fan of it. I agree with the poster who said that the seat needs some work, as does most BR stuff. As an employee of BR, I get some great deals and always have problems in the seat area, and the area right below the seat at the back of the thigh.

I'd assume it won't be more than $65 to get everything tailored.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Gotta go with the general consensus here, I like it. And like the shoes with the suit! Welcome to SF, for better or worse you'll never be the same...

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads