• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yet another pairing blazers and pants thread

slowlearner

Reaction score
Hi, All! I've done some searching, and haven't really found a conclusive answer to my burning question. Here's the problem: I've never paid much attention to fashion, and I've always hated wearing suits, but I've recently started a new job that requires a bit more dressing up. While the new job is a great choice, I've actually had to accept a bit of a drop in salary to make the move, and that, plus a wife on maternity leave, has left me with limited funds to purchase the dressier clothes I need.

I started by buying a full suit--nothing fabulous, but something that can get me through a few years, if necessary. I've also been doing some second-hand shopping, on and offline, and come up with some OK picks--two pairs of Allen Edmonds were a great, and reasonably priced investment, but I've had more trouble with blazers.

I picked up two Brooks Brothers, half-canvassed jackets, but now have to work on pairing them, which is where I've run into trouble. The first is a dark herringbone (very dark grey), which I think will pair nicely with charcoal pants. The second, I'm now regretting buying at all, as I get the feeling what I've actually got is an orphaned suit jacket, that I may be unable to pair at all. I was thinking maybe navy pants, but now that I've got it home, I'm not so sure...

I've included pictures for reference; any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

SlowLearner

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd is disaster as odd jacket. first is ok. hard to tell much from the pic

Frankie22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, All! I've done some searching, and haven't really found a conclusive answer to my burning question. Here's the problem: I've never paid much attention to fashion, and I've always hated wearing suits, but I've recently started a new job that requires a bit more dressing up. While the new job is a great choice, I've actually had to accept a bit of a drop in salary to make the move, and that, plus a wife on maternity leave, has left me with limited funds to purchase the dressier clothes I need.

I started by buying a full suit--nothing fabulous, but something that can get me through a few years, if necessary. I've also been doing some second-hand shopping, on and offline, and come up with some OK picks--two pairs of Allen Edmonds were a great, and reasonably priced investment, but I've had more trouble with blazers.

I picked up two Brooks Brothers, half-canvassed jackets, but now have to work on pairing them, which is where I've run into trouble. The first is a dark herringbone (very dark grey), which I think will pair nicely with charcoal pants. The second, I'm now regretting buying at all, as I get the feeling what I've actually got is an orphaned suit jacket, that I may be unable to pair at all. I was thinking maybe navy pants, but now that I've got it home, I'm not so sure...

I've included pictures for reference; any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

SlowLearner

Navy sport coat goes with everything. Would suggest some slim fit khakis and tropical weight (for summer) wools in the following colors: tan, charcoal, mid grey. Pair that with say 2 pairs of khakis (purchase varying shades and you are good to go). The grey odd jacket is rough, it's an orphaned suit coat and the pinstripes make is a tough pairing with anything, really. Purchase another sport coat in a summer fabric like linen. Navy would be ideal. If your on a budget, lands end has some tailored fit trousers and khakis you can check out. As long as you keep your shirts rotating, shoes polished + fresh and vary your ties - no one will notice the repetition with regard to the jacket.

Last edited:

slowlearner

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

Thanks you both for the input. I guess I should have added a bit more background. I'm about 6'0, and 250lbs--some size from weightlifting, but a fair bit of slack belly, as well. As a result "slim fit" stuff sometimes looks a bit ridiculous on me (or perhaps it's more accurate to say that I feel uncomfortable wearing it; I haven't had an independent opinion on it).

I do have a few things from my old job--some decent shirts, and a few pairs of dress pants. I've got a decent navy pair, and a tan pair in good shape, but I'm in need of another charcoal pant. The ones I've bought for some years are cheapies from Tip Top Tailors, which are poly/wool blend. I don't like them much, but they've been in the right price range ($50/pair). They do wear out, particularly in the crotch, quite quickly I find, but I don't know if that's solely due to thigh size, or if that's quality of pants, as well; I've never had good wool pants before.

Oh, I guess I should also add a note on location; I'm in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, which is near a whole lot of oil industry, some farming operations, and not much else. As a result, there are only a few options for men's clothing: department stores (Sears, The Bay), low-mid range menswear (Moore's, Tip Top), and then boutiquy places that I probably need a credit check to enter (which I would fail, right now). Oh, and online, of course, though that's tricky for obvious reasons.

In that vein, thank you for the point toward Land's End; I haven't heard of them before, and they seem like a reasonably-priced option, provided the pants are of a decent quality. If the customs & brokerage fees sound reasonable, I may give them a go. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced navy sports coat; I've been looking, but nothing has popped up yet. After that, a second suit may become my focus. On the bright side, I'm OK in just dress pants and a shirt most days--the suits and blazers are only for the dressier days, which are maybe a couple of times a month.

Thanks again, and any more advice you may have would certainly be welcome.

Cheers,

Frankie22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

Thanks you both for the input. I guess I should have added a bit more background. I'm about 6'0, and 250lbs--some size from weightlifting, but a fair bit of slack belly, as well. As a result "slim fit" stuff sometimes looks a bit ridiculous on me (or perhaps it's more accurate to say that I feel uncomfortable wearing it; I haven't had an independent opinion on it).

I do have a few things from my old job--some decent shirts, and a few pairs of dress pants. I've got a decent navy pair, and a tan pair in good shape, but I'm in need of another charcoal pant. The ones I've bought for some years are cheapies from Tip Top Tailors, which are poly/wool blend. I don't like them much, but they've been in the right price range ($50/pair). They do wear out, particularly in the crotch, quite quickly I find, but I don't know if that's solely due to thigh size, or if that's quality of pants, as well; I've never had good wool pants before.

Oh, I guess I should also add a note on location; I'm in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, which is near a whole lot of oil industry, some farming operations, and not much else. As a result, there are only a few options for men's clothing: department stores (Sears, The Bay), low-mid range menswear (Moore's, Tip Top), and then boutiquy places that I probably need a credit check to enter (which I would fail, right now). Oh, and online, of course, though that's tricky for obvious reasons.

In that vein, thank you for the point toward Land's End; I haven't heard of them before, and they seem like a reasonably-priced option, provided the pants are of a decent quality. If the customs & brokerage fees sound reasonable, I may give them a go. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced navy sports coat; I've been looking, but nothing has popped up yet. After that, a second suit may become my focus. On the bright side, I'm OK in just dress pants and a shirt most days--the suits and blazers are only for the dressier days, which are maybe a couple of times a month.

Thanks again, and any more advice you may have would certainly be welcome.

Cheers,
Np, just buy a full traditional cut if you are a big man and you are good to go.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's