• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another "Help me build a business casual wardrobe" thread

Cheuk

Reaction score
Many threads on bus. cas. I know but my sense is that it's fair protocol to start a thread for such a detailed request. Apologies if I'm doing this wrong.

So I am leaving grad school in Chicago for first professional job in Dallas and the office is of course business casual. I'd like to look sharp but no need to be flashy.

I am 5'10", ~185 lbs, and wear a 41 jacket, dress shirt is 15.5-34, pants are 32 inch waist, 30 inch inseam (for no-break length, though I usually wear a 31 or 32). For my height, I am pretty broad-shouldered and have relatively thick upper legs. As a reference point, in Brooks Bro shirt I can pull off a extra-slim fit if I size up the collar a size. The slim fit in my actual size fits my shoulders nicely, although is a bit blousy around the waist and in the back. For pants, J Crew's classic fit is about as slim as I can go---i.e. slim-fit pants are very tight on my butt and thighs.

Regarding budget, I'd love to find pants under $100, though might spring for Howard Younts or some such (around $150--just don't tell my wife :). For shirts at this point I'd like to make do with TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, and Brooks Brothers etc. (i.e. any thing that is around $60 a shirt) if possible.

For pants, I'd like to make the jump to wool. People in the office do wear cotton slacks, but I think I'd like something a bit sharper if it's not too much trouble. My hesitation about wool pants is the dry-cleaning only. From searching the forums on this topic, it seems many people dry clean their pants quite infrequently, though I have not seen many people say how many wears they get--usually they just say "once a season" without specifying how many pairs are in rotation. Currently when I wear khakis in the summer they need a wash after a few wears, so it's hard for me to imagine going too long without dry cleaning. Anyhow, I guess I'll have to just get a pair and see how they weather a few August days in Dallas.

For wool pants, is grey the recommended color? Light? Dark? Other colors?

For shirts, I am unsure of whether to get spread collar or button down collar. I will not be wearing ties. I would like to work odd jackets in eventually, but for now let's suppose I am going without a jacket (is this a huge mistake? my sense is that is not common in the office. Also Dallas is v hot in the summer....) Does the tie-less spread collar work WITHOUT a jacket?

For shirts, patterned or solid color?

Finally, shoes: I am guessing I need some more brown. I currently have AE Park Avenues in black, AE Leeds in black, and old Florsheim longwings in light brown (calf) and cordovan (shell). Note those are a lot of double-soled shoes; I'm thinking I should prob get a somewhat sleeker shoe in dark brown. For this let's keep it to AE quality (i.e. price) and below. I am not at all above getting used shoes on ebay (indeed the four shoes I mentioned were all Ebay acquisitions).

I'll appreciate any suggestions for styles, patterns, colors, brands I should try. Many thanks for reading.

Cheuk

Reaction score
If it matters, my shoe size is an 11.5 D.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads