• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another groom fashion thread...but it's rather unique and very important for me!

smk

Reaction score
QUICK ANSWERS NEEDED!!!

I'm getting married in a couple of weeks. I bought a ralph lauren black label anthony suit in charcoal to wear for the wedding and in the future. The suit fits great and I like it a lot.

Now, I'm looking for the right shirt to go with it. I was looking at a borrelli shirt from http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-53904-borrelli-white-shirt-size-16-us-41-eu.aspx
Is this a good deal? I've never heard of the brand. Anyone have experiences? is it good quality, how is the fit like?
And I have an oval face, but a rather large face. So I was thinking I should get a big but low spread collar.
Also, I've heard the shirt and the suit is supposed to strike a harmony.
Does above shirt fit the bill?

Lastly, would three piece (including vest) be better than two piece? I'm thinking of wearing a light pastel pink tie.

All help would be immensely appreciated!

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borelli are top notch, and white gies with everything pretty much. The collar looks to be only semi spread, which will work with a broad range of face shapes.

Only thing I'm a bit iffy on is the tie. Pink, in my opinion is not a great wedding tie colour, doesn't look good with most people's complexions, especially one you have a few wines in to you later in the night. I'd consider something in silver or cream before pink.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All a bit basic but you do not describe yourself so no comments on fit are possible. Dump the idea of the vest, probably a bit OTT unless you are associated with wearing vests normally.

smk

Reaction score
The thing I'm most concerned with is if the collar is good for my face and if the shirt looks good with the suit.

smk

Reaction score
I've asked the same question (harmony between suit and shirt, and harmony between face and collar) in different threads in different ways, and no one's given me an answer. Anyone?? I have done some research on this forum and I think I get the gist of it, but I don't know how exactly to tell a collar on certain shirt is right looking at the numbers on the size and length. Please help!!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OJFC...1) without pictures it's really impossible to tell anything 2) look at other people's pictures that you like, especially those that have a similar face/build to you, see what you like, try and emulate that, 3) look at yourself, evaluate whether you like what you see or not. Borrelli shirts are certainly more than fine for you.

smk

Reaction score
Sorry for my persistence, but is there no way for an advice without pictures?
I've given fairly detailed description. I just want a brief, around the ballpark advice.
I guess what I want to know is if the collar of the shirt above is short in length, and big in size.

Oh and I think I understand Borrelli is quality looking at the replies. Do you know how a staple item such as this can be bought for a such a deep discount?

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry for my persistence, but is there no way for an advice without pictures?
I've given fairly detailed description. I just want a brief, around the ballpark advice.
I guess what I want to know is if the collar of the shirt above is short in length, and big in size.
Oh and I think I understand Borrelli is quality looking at the replies. Do you know how a staple item such as this can be bought for a such a deep discount?

that shirt collar is innocuous enough where its not going to look bad on anyone. It might not necessarily be the best collar for you, but you'll be fine. The best way to know what looks good on you is through trial and error. Buy the shirt, wear it, see how it feels and looks on you and then go forward from there.

smk

Reaction score

3.5" is a fairly long collar point, so yes, the collar points are fairly long. There's no measurement given for the collar height.
I don't know if that's what you mean by "length" and "size" though

Thank you! What I mean by size is, how big the collars look, looking at it from the front. And I guess by length, I mean how much of my neck would show.

that shirt collar is innocuous enough where its not going to look bad on anyone. It might not necessarily be the best collar for you, but you'll be fine. The best way to know what looks good on you is through trial and error. Buy the shirt, wear it, see how it feels and looks on you and then go forward from there.

Thank you!

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you're concerned about the collars, the general rule is to not wear dress shirt collars with a similar shape of your face.

But since you have an oval face, you can pull off wearing most types of collar.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought height of collars was related to length of neck rather than face shape. No high collars on short necks for example.

smk

Reaction score

I always thought height of collars was related to length of neck rather than face shape. No high collars on short necks for example.

Yes. I think so. I'd like my neck to show more. So I guess I'm wondering if the shirt has a shorter collar.
If anyone can recommend me a shirt with these characteristics, that would be great too!

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a shirt from borrelli with a collar like that. Sorry i can't take any pics because i just shipped most of my stuff back to singapore and I'm just living of a skeletal wardrobe. But if i remember correctly that is a very high collar, not karl lagerfeld-like but compared to most other brands it comes up pretty high. When worn without a jacket my friends say its way too big, but when the jacket is on they most always agree it looks good. And by big i mean high on the neck.

AMG1

Reaction score
Borelli is one of the best shirts you can get, I wouldn´t wear a vest though. And for the tie I would go for a more classic one, maybe one of Jason´s ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads