Yet Another First Suit Critique

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stratcolby, Dec 1, 2009.

1. stratcolby

stratcolby New Member

First time poster, and I just received my first suit and need a critique - it's a textured charcoal-gray Calvin Klein Collection suit that I bought off Gilt Man a week or so ago. Got measured at Nordstrom before making the purchase, they said I was about a 40-41L, so I went with a 52 L (euro size) to be on the safe side.

The suit feels pretty comfortable - I'm about to find my first tailor and have them fix me up, but I figure I'd get some expert advice first so I at least know what to ask for. I don't have an eye for these sorts of things - the one thing I noticed (besides the pants needing to be hemmed) is that the sleeves need to be shortened.

Any other thoughts, suggestions? I'll probably just take it to Nordstrom to get it tailored, unless anyone has any objections. Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Welcome.

Pants hemmed, sleeves shortened - as you said. Something is amiss with where your lats are, but I think it's some loose material that can be cleaned up. Shoulders look great.

If it's black get ready for the retards to make fun of your black suit. EDIT: it appears to be charcoal - nice.

I like it and think it'll look great with minor (normal) alterations.

3. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

I'll let the real experts critique your fit but will help you out with one thing... never button the bottom button of a suit jacket

4. Chips

Chips Senior member

First and foremost, + 1 for being the first guy in a long friggin time to post clear, well lit photos of a suit that is to be crittiqued.

All in all it looks good except as you mentioned, the sleeves are a touch long. Not bad overall for OTR. Well done.

5. Col.

Col. Well-Known Member

you did well sir
    no need for me to repeat what the others have mentioned already

6. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

The jacket is way too short, but eerything else looks great.

7. armorarmylt

armorarmylt Senior member

a less boring shirt.....lol

8. stratcolby

stratcolby New Member

Is it really? I'm about 6'4, is there any hope for a longer RTW suit? This will have to do for a while.

Thanks for the feedback guys. After reading a little more on SF I think I might've made a slight mistake in going with peak lapels. Would I be able to pull this off as a business suit as well? Or do the peaks make this strictly formal? What about the textured look - is that a matter of taste, or is there a time and a place for that as well? Thanks for your help!

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

First and foremost, + 1 for being the first guy in a long friggin time to post clear, well lit photos of a suit that is to be crittiqued.

All in all it looks good except as you mentioned, the sleeves are a touch long. Not bad overall for OTR. Well done.

+1

For a 2 button suit, button the top button.

10. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

I don't think it's way too short. It covers your rear end completely or nearly so. That's the standard I usually judge by.

11. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

THANK YOU FOR TAKING CLEAR PICTURES. [​IMG]

As you said sleeve length/pant length will need to be adjusted. If I was really nitpicking I would suggest having the back cleaned up but that might just be the way you're standing. Stand relaxed and naturally and take another photo. The material of the jacket should lie smoothly across your shoulder blades. If it doesn't, it needs to be adjusted.

I would suggest taking it to a tailor vs. the alterations department at a department store. Adjusting a jacket is a much more complex operation than hemming some pants.

12. torontolaker

torontolaker Senior member

show the sleeves of your shirt...

13. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Awwww man, you always give terrible advice [​IMG]

14. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

The button stance is very high on your jacket. I think you're safe buttoning both buttons on this one if you feel like it.

Very nice suit. Perfect jacket length in my opinion.

15. korektphool

korektphool Well-Known Member

Due to your sizing up, there seems to be some excess material at the back, which I think should be easily cleaned up by a competent tailor. The suit appears to fit well on your shoulders, so good job on that. Apart from that, shorten the sleeves and open the vents of course. Some waist suppression might also work well for you.

However, I feel the style of the suit is terrible: the buttoning point is at least two inches higher than what would look ideal on you. You can't fix this though. (And please unbutton the bottom button!)