• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another critique my shirt fit thread

jhdas

Reaction score
I bought this shirt from Land's End Custom. I figured, $50 for an MTM shirt with a Land's End return policy, can't go wrong, right? So, I've gotten what I consider to by my "rough draft." What do you guys think? It's blousier than I'd like, but it's worlds better than any OTR shirt I've found.

photo23uk8.jpg

photo24on6.jpg

photo25km0.jpg

photo27zs3.jpg

photo28qz4.jpg

photo30cw2.jpg

photo31yl4.jpg

photo32ww0.jpg

My critique so far is: the collar needs to be changed. I picked "boardroom." I'm going to go with a contour straight or traditional straight next time. I should probably narrow and shorten the sleeves and lengthen the shirt. I was so excited that I could get a shirt that fit my long-ass monkey-arms I overshot the sleeve length by a good inch or so. Also, I think the wrists could be narrower, as I can slip my hand through the buttoned cuffs. The material I chose White 100% Cotton Oxford, was a bit coarser than I'd have liked, and definitely wrinkles too easily.

The possible adjustments that can be made to the order through the LandsEnd website are listed here.

For the record, I used these measurements:

Shirt neck size: \t16.5"
Sleeve length: \t38"
Sportcoat size: \t41 Tall
Height: \t6' 0"
Weight: \t180 lbs.
Waist: \t37"
Inseam: \t35"
Shoe size: \t11
When wearing dress shirts, how do they typically fit you around the chest and shoulders: \tLoose
When wearing dress shirts, how do they typically fit around your upper arms: \tFine
Over the past 5 years, what have your exercise habits been: \tModerate
How do you plan to care for your Custom dress shirt: \tSome home laundering
Chest description: \tRegular Build
Stomach description: \tAverage
Arm type description: \tMedium Build
Body proportions: \tShort Torso / Long Legs

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks okay on the shoulders and collar but too big everywhere else.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know one of the people involved with the software used to develop the patterns from which the shirts are cut.

From what you have listed, no where is the request for a fitted shirt.
it is quite simple to return the shirt and start overwith a number of corrections.

one of the main problems is that youhave square shoulders. Iam not sure if these corrections can be made with their program.

Carl

jhdas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
From what you have listed, no where is the request for a fitted shirt.
Oh, in the shirt options they have "Tailored" vs. "Regular" fit or something like that. I chose tailored, which is supposed to be slimmer than regular. And I'm guessing the square shoulders are the reason for the strange draping at the top? It's a shame they don't have any way ot customize for shoulder slope.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you do not say if you gave your chest measure.

if you order again tell them you have:
a full chest
an erect posture
thats why it kicks up in front and hits you in the butt.
also send them the first three pictures.

satorstyle

Reaction score
I think you mentioned all the flaws, you should be pretty much dead on next time.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a few Land's End custom shirts because, like you, I have a problem with monkey arms (I'm 6'0"/ 160 lbs and wear 15.5" x 36"). I even did the same thing you did and ordered my first one with sleeves an inch too long. The second order of shirts I got back from them fit me slightly worse than BB slim-fit, but still much better than anything else. Even with the "tailored fit" they're still a little blousy in the waist for me.

As for your shirt, I think it's not too bad once you get those sleeves cut back by an inch or so. The camera placement in the front-on pictures make your gut look much larger than it is. In the profile shot, it's not so bad at all.

Also, keep in mind it might shrink a little bit when laundered - it's tough to completely judge out of the box.

Finally, the LE "Royal Twill" in "Clay" looks like it's fine maroon-and-yellow on the website, but is actually copper-and-white. It's actually kind of nice. The white houndstooth cloth is very nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads