• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another bogus 100 best list (Bars)

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just think it's way too broad. The effort of coming up with the "Best Bars in the US" is not realistic. No one has that much breadth of knowledge and so it's no surprise that it's coast-centric.

Flyovers get shafted once more. Thank God for the Electoral College or we'd have nothing going for us.
fight[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What the hell makes for a great bar anyway? Superior mixology? Atmosphere? There's not a lot to go on.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What the hell makes for a great bar anyway? Superior mixology? Atmosphere? There's not a lot to go on.
It seems fairly obvious. Why do people go to bars? The drinks, the people, the surroundings. Music or food or pool tables are sub-factors that fall into that third category.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's really a tough call IMO. I think you'd almost have to segment somehow, to make things in the least meaningful. I mean, how do you compare a bar that sits 20 people vs. one that sits 500? One where the draw is the $1.50 home made hamburgers that the owner's wife cooks up for lunch daily vs. one where the draw is the high priced single malt and rare wines is the draw? I've been in all four types of bars and enjoyed myself, but there's no way I could rate them against each other.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
The drinks
Much harder to differentiate than food.

the people
Infinitely subjective; we all have different kinds of friends.

the surroundings
Fair enough, but then this is really more of a decor ranking.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What happens to last year's top 100? They're not good anymore?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that if you got some good classifications down (High end, dive, hotel, live music, etc.), got 50 knowledgeable people together and did a poll, MAYBE you could come up with a ranking of the best bars in, say, NYC.

But to try to do a nationwide, single category poll is just setting yourself up to fail.

Besides Zagats ranks bars now...it's pretty sparse yet, but if I'm headed into a new city and want to find a good bar I'm probably more likely to look at something like that that's based on lots of customers' rankings than something like this where I know the author knows phoque-all about the Dallas (or where ever) bar scene.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go to the bar at the Big Four, or imagine the old Redwood Room. Now you know.
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much harder to differentiate than food.

Infinitely subjective; we all have different kinds of friends.

Fair enough, but then this is really more of a decor ranking.

Well yes, it is very difficult to rank these sort of things, but isn't that what a bullshit magazine ranking list is for?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Go to the bar at the Big Four, or imagine the old Redwood Room. Now you know.
smile.gif

I like expensive hotel bars a lot. But that's really all about the room. It would be like rating restaurants primarily based on the view. If so, the Cliff House or the Carnelian Room would be "best." And we know that ain't so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Well yes, it is very difficult to rank these sort of things, but isn't that what a bullshit magazine ranking list is for?

I dunno, I like rankings, and I like debating their accuracy, but this one seems like a fool's errand. Not nearly enough to go on.

bkk

Reaction score
*scratches head* I never knew there were two bars worth going to in South East DC, let alone two that were two worthy of the Top 100.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rankings like this remind me of this article... http://www.thestar.com/News/Ideas/article/420953 The only real use they might be is giving some places more exposure, which I'm sure the regulars don't want. I'm pretty glad my favorite isn't in that list.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It's really a tough call IMO. I think you'd almost have to segment somehow, to make things in the least meaningful. I mean, how do you compare a bar that sits 20 people vs. one that sits 500? One where the draw is the $1.50 home made hamburgers that the owner's wife cooks up for lunch daily vs. one where the draw is the high priced single malt and rare wines is the draw? I've been in all four types of bars and enjoyed myself, but there's no way I could rate them against each other.
+1 (except for the seats 500 part)

Andrew V.

Reaction score
List-making is the laziest form of journalism*. Besides being easy, its appeal to journalists is that it's sure to generate light-hearted pseudo-controversy and disccussion.

*In second place is "bogus trend-spotting" (I must give slate.com credit for the term).

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Ha! How can Vesuvio, the third best bar on the block where it stands, be the highest rated bar in California?

It's been a long while since I've lived in San Francisco, but I assume you're talking Specs, and.....????? What else is on that precise block?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads