• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yes, Virginia! Bargains Exist.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some forum members say bargains no longer exist.

Please allow me to present this bargain.

On the morning of Christmas Eve I found this Sulka NOS kid jacket online while looking for an unrelated item. I called the store to verify the listed details and availability. I typically wear a U.S. size 40. The web page listed the jacket's condition as "Like new one" and indicated a size 42.

The clerk said the jacket appeared new and the still-attached original Sulka paper price tag (price portion removed at perforation) was marked size 50/40. Additionally, a sewn-in label was marked 50/40. No one there knew what that meant, so they simply called the jacket a size 42 because it looked closer to size 40 than size 50! She also mentioned that one of the pockets contained a little plastic bag with extra buttons and thread.

The clerk wasn't sure if the jacket was actually leather because it was "almost too soft and smooth." She said another sewn-in tag was marked only, "Vera Pelle Capretto." She then opined that the jacket "must have been $150.00 or maybe more. So, the store's $39.95 price is a pretty good deal. Don't you think so?" I agreed that it was a good deal and purchased the jacket. I did not bother to inform her that "Vera Pelle Capretto" means genuine kid leather. Neither did I correct her estimate of the original retail price. She was off by a factor of nearly twenty.

The jacket arrived today. It is indeed new with tags attached and no evidence of wear. I would guess that even though new, the jacket is perhaps now eight or nine years old. It fits very well with the exception of needing the sleeves shortened!

-

Pre-Purchase Screen Shot From Seller's WebSite to Avoid the "Pics or It Didn't Happen" Dilemma:

Sulka-KidJacketNWTBargain.jpg

___

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's awesome!

Wear your new jacket in good health. I really regret having missed the golden age of Sulka.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great bargain! Funnily enough, the vendor hasn't even taken it down off their website yet!
smile.gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen
tounge.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What store is that?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Great bargain! Funnily enough, the vendor hasn't even taken it down off their website yet!
smile.gif

I am tempted to try and order it...maybe they have another

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
What store is that?

They had a full size run of that jacket, but they now want 49.99 for each. I passed.

Regards.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
They had a full size run of that jacket, but they now want 49.99 for each. I passed.

Yeah; that's very overpriced.
laugh.gif

Seriously though, if anyone wants to try ordering an already-bought item, knock yourselves out!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just placed an order for 5 of them
lol8[1].gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha they thought it couldn't be leather because it was TOO SOFT

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this Sulka coat another bargain in a size 44? At less than two hundred dollars, it might not be quite the $39.95 steal/deal in my original post above. Use the link to see the detailed photos.

It looks like a first cousin of the jacket in my first post. However, the tags on this jacket don't mention capretto. So, I suspect the black leather is calf. It is ever so slightly more of a blazer cut. It has notched lapels, side vents, a body that is proportionately just a little shorter, and sleeve cuff buttons that are not styling details on my new jacket. Otherwise, the general cut and the three patch pockets are almost identical to mine.

If you think one hundred ninety-five bucks for this once-upon-a-time nearly three thousand dollar coat (seemingly pristine albeit used and missing one button) is still a good deal, you know how to buy it. Check the measurements; I would verify the length of those sleeves.

___

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics