• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yes! Plinkett reviews Star Wars III

BC2012

Reaction score
One of my friends went ballistic when he reviewed Phantom of the Menace. Told me it was the most hilarious things he had ever heard. I just listed to Part 1 of the SWIII review. Meh. It just smacks so hard of a super nerd trying to poke fun at super nerds. I just don't get the humor...the movie sucked. Like 90% of reviews said so - what makes his reviews better?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm honestly curious (I like lots of nerdy stuff, just not this). What do you guys think is so funny about his reviews? Do you need to love shows like How I Met Your Mother, and that sort of geek humor, to like this?

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
One of my friends went ballistic when he reviewed Phantom of the Menace. Told me it was the most hilarious things he had ever heard. I just listed to Part 1 of the SWIII review. Meh. It just smacks so hard of a super nerd trying to poke fun at super nerds. I just don't get the humor...the movie sucked. Like 90% of reviews said so - what makes his reviews better?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm honestly curious (I like lots of nerdy stuff, just not this). What do you guys think is so funny about his reviews? Do you need to love shows like How I Met Your Mother, and that sort of geek humor, to like this?

Watch the other two. He get's into acting, character motivation, plot mechanics, blocking, character placement, camera maneuvers, etc. It's a really sharp review. I actually wish it was more condensed, I think about half of it is funny and the other half contrived. That said, good criticism is good criticism.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Watch the other two. He get's into acting, character motivation, plot mechanics, blocking, character placement, camera maneuvers, etc. It's a really sharp review. I actually wish it was more condensed, I think about half of it is funny and the other half contrived. That said, good criticism is good criticism.

But it's like as long as the movie! If it were 5 minutes long, that'd be one thing. There were a few times when I chuckled, but a lot of it was so nerdy. Like "inset laugh track here" lame.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
But it's like as long as the movie! If it were 5 minutes long, that'd be one thing. There were a few times when I chuckled, but a lot of it was so nerdy. Like "inset laugh track here" lame.

I think if you took all the critically relevant information and consolidated it, it'd still take longer than 30 minutes. Whoever plays Plinkett just chose to insert the sight gags and persona in an attempt to make his, in some ways, really academic reviews a bit less rote. Apprently it works for some but not others, I found it funny here and there. But yeah, there were a lot of duds. I guess just depends on how well you like his criticism.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
I am also a Star Trek fan. That said:

http://redlettermedia.com/generations.html
http://redlettermedia.com/first_contact.html
http://redlettermedia.com/insurrection.html
http://redlettermedia.com/nemesis.html
http://redlettermedia.com/star_trek_09.html

picard3starwars.jpg

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need to love shows like How I Met Your Mother, and that sort of geek humor, to like this?

In what context does How I Met Your Mother fall under the category of "geek humor"?
confused.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the problem (or just something you have to get used to) is the guy's use of a funny voice. I had a buddy watch the first part and he just couldn't get past his pseudo-marsupialed slow voice. When I watched the Ep1 review, I was like WTF? at first but if you just give it a chance, you can tell the guy definitely knows what he's talking about.

If you watch any of the 3 parts, watch the third one. To me, that is the most damning and well made. Say what you want about the story line, plot holes, and use of special effects.....the part that really hits home, IMO, is when he points out just how poorly the lazily the movies are FILMED and WRITTEN. When he points out just how often people are talking while walking or sitting on a couch, it becomes so blatantly obvious how LAZY George Lucas was throughout the process.

Like he said, the prequels could definitely have worked as a character piece if George Lucas had any clue how to write a character piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads