• We are thrilled to welcome Capra Leather to the Styleforum family of official Affiliate Vendors.They are a hand crafted, made to order leather goods family company. Their products have unique designs with a aesthetic that blend minimalism, tradition and functionality. Focused on sustainability they offer a lifetime warranty on every piece.

    Give Capra a warm welcome on their Official Affiliate Thread

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yes or No on Shoe Inserts

ltontheqt

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
429
Reaction score
38
I just received a beautiful pair of C&J Cliffords. I misunderstood PLAL's advice and ended up with shoes that are a bit too big. They slide a little. With tongue pads they are better. Would heel pads help as well? Another option is to put in Dr. Scholl-like inserts. I found some discussion in a search, but would like more information. I'd like to hear from those of you who use them. Am I wrong to think of them as condoms that reduce the pleasure of the fine leather insole? I have them in one pair of shoes and don't love the feel, but I am willing to consider to salvage the shoes and not (and here's the rub) have to incur the $42 return shipping charge. Other options include trying to sell them here or going down another half size, which PLAL thinks might work but can't guarantee. What's your advice?
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,650
Reaction score
419
I'd return and try the other size first. while insoles and pads can help some- you'll never really be as happy with the shoes as you had hoped. Plus factor in the cost of several years replacing insoles, etc.

I speak from experience having one foot different from the other.
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,213
Reaction score
84
If you don't mind, can you tell us what is your normal US size and what size you ordered? Thanks.
 

wetnose

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
996
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by ltontheqt
I just received a beautiful pair of C&J Cliffords. I misunderstood PLAL's advice and ended up with shoes that are a bit too big. They slide a little. With tongue pads they are better. Would heel pads help as well? Another option is to put in Dr. Scholl-like inserts. I found some discussion in a search, but would like more information. I'd like to hear from those of you who use them. Am I wrong to think of them as condoms that reduce the pleasure of the fine leather insole? I have them in one pair of shoes and don't love the feel, but I am willing to consider to salvage the shoes and not (and here's the rub) have to incur the $42 return shipping charge. Other options include trying to sell them here or going down another half size, which PLAL thinks might work but can't guarantee. What's your advice?

When you say "slide a little" - does your foot slide forward that you can actually fit your pinky finger in the heel? If so, then the shoe is about 1/2 size too large for you. Then it'd warrant a return.

If it's less, then it's insoles, heel grips and tongue pads. Personally I find heel grips to be an irritation. I have had success with a poron insole on a shoe that was 1/2 size too big for me, so give that a try. Poron insoles aren't too thick and are ideal for dress shoes.
 

ltontheqt

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
429
Reaction score
38
wetnose;1902964 said:
When you say "slide a little" - does your foot slide forward that you can actually fit your pinky finger in the heel? If so, then the shoe is about 1/2 size too large for you. Then it'd warrant a return.

I think my pinky does fit in the heel. I will have to put them on again and see.
 

ltontheqt

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
429
Reaction score
38
I measure a U.S. 9.5. C/D. Of course, that often translates to 9 or smaller, whether the shoes are made in Italy, England or, for that matter, the U.S. I ordered a 8.5E UK.
 

Smahatma

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
711
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by ltontheqt
I measure a U.S. 9.5. C/D. Of course, that often translates to 9 or smaller, whether the shoes are made in Italy, England or, for that matter, the U.S. I ordered a 8.5E UK.
That's why I sized down 1.5 on the 337/348....true US D widths with normal/high arches could probably get away with sizing down only 1 or possibly even 0.5, but for those of us with narrow feet and/or low arches will need to go 1.5 down.
 

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
47
Originally Posted by Smahatma
That's why I sized down 1.5 on the 337/348....true US D widths with normal/high arches could probably get away with sizing down only 1 or possibly even 0.5, but for those of us with narrow feet and/or low arches will need to go 1.5 down.
Feet vary so everyone should weigh interweb advice carefully. Me, I doubt that sizing down so much could yield a good fit for someone with a narrow foot and/or low arches. A lot of English shoes are wide in the ankle, and UK length sizing is only 1/2 a size less than US length sizing on the Brannock device (1 full size for US shoes, like sneakers, that are vanity sized to make the man feel bigger). The big difference is that most English shoes are wider than American shoes. I suspect that some people with narrow ankles and feet size down 1 or 1 1/2 to get a better fit around the ankle. But -- if you have to size down that much to get an ankle opening that fits you well, wouldn't your heel to ball measurement put the widest part of your foot up in what is supposed to be an elongated toebox? (Isn't this the equivalent of putting an 11C foot into a 10E shoe with an elongated toebox? It will fit in there but should it be worn this way?) As for inserts: I have low arches & a low, narrow ankle and so I wear all kinds of inserts. Whatever makes the shoe fit better & more comfortable, I will wear. Heel cushions are the best. These are the ones that go under your heels. They raise my ankle a bit, which helps to fill out the ankle opening. Tongue cushions are less comfortable but they can be helpful on shoes that lace down too much. Insoles are fine, except in the summer, when the lighter ones will wrinkle under the foot with the extra perspiration. But they make leather insoles that won't do this, too. Good luck fitting your shoe
 

Featured Sponsor

What do you normally wear on Mondays at work?

  • Suit, shirt, and tie

  • Suit and shirt, no tie

  • Dress shirt and trousers, jacket or sport coat, tie

  • Dress shirt and trousers, jacket or sport coat, no tie

  • Dress shirt and trousers, no tie or jacket

  • Casual trousers and shirt (polo, t-shirt, etc.)


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
483,808
Messages
10,294,008
Members
216,373
Latest member
Lisa Di Capri
Top