Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

These are the funniest BBC shows I have come across, and I have watched a LOT of BBC comedy. Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne had great chemistry and their delivery was pitch-perfect every single episode. You need to see this if you haven't. Some clips:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. cerfvolant

cerfvolant Well-Known Member

Brilliant shows! I used to watch them when i was younger!

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Vicious right-wing propaganda.

4. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Certainly, one(/two) of the greatest.

5. HHD

HHD Senior member

One of my favourite shows. I loved the scene when Hacker, as PM, has to appoint the Archbishop of Canterbury, choosing between a traditionalist and a modernist. He demands to know the difference between the two. Sir Humphrey explains, "the traditionalist believes in God."

6. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Certainly, one(/two) of the greatest.

+ 1

Used to be a Tuesday night staple when I was a kid.

7. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

I've been known to enjoy a good bit of these shows. They are, as a friend of mine put them, witty rather than just funny, something that the American TV we're all bombarded with now just doesn't manage.

8. LeonM

LeonM Senior member

Superb.

The Thick of It does not come close.

Sad to think that Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne are no longer.

"The Key" was the funniest episode.

Leon

9. barims

barims Senior member

They're repeated daily on digital at the moment. The theme cheers me up every time

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Excellent show. So many great lines. Nigel Hawthorne was something else, and Eddington was great at playing the dope. The episode with the dinner party at the Saudi Embassy is a classic.

11. Connemara

Excellent show. So many great lines. Nigel Hawthorne was something else, and Eddington was great at playing the dope. The episode with the dinner party at the Saudi Embassy is a classic.
    That is one of my favorites. "Minister, uhh...Mr. Walker is on the phone." "Who?" "Mr. Johnnie Walker." As Leon said, it is sad to think that we have lost both Eddington and Hawthorne.

12. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

As Leon said, it is sad to think that we have lost both Eddington and Hawthorne.

Indeed.

13. Connemara

Another great Hawthorne role: George III in The Madness of King George.

14. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

Some of the episodes sum up what I dislike about short term democracy - showcasing beneficial governmental acts being circumvented for the sake of political expediency (metadioxin plant episode), bloated beaurocracy (hospital episode)...

Witty, but depressing at the same time.

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I can't get past the obnoxious laugh track.