• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore it today for a presentation with some flannels and I was feeling it. Looked at myself in the mirror after the presentation and wanted another DB< Wanted another DB as in a different DB than the one I was wearing; some elements of it I nitpick over.

Yes, 's MTO DB suit is grail-level. But aside from DBs...

We Need Moar Swallow Neck Polos! @yeossal When y'all gone bless us with some more swallow neck jawns?!?! We need a new batch. All of the colors/sizes are sold out.
Oooh ok, I gotcha now, that makes sense.

Agreed on new polos, I wonder if anyone knows when or how often they restock.

LKittelb

Reaction score
For what its worth, a customer review:

I feel the need to vent a bit, and I probably would have been better to do it some time ago, but I was less familiar with SF at the time... In early 2020, I placed an order for MTO shoes, trousers, and polishing products with Yeossal after hearing about them from Justin Fitzpatrick, who spoke very highly of their shoes. This was to be my first pair of handwelted shoes, and there was much anticipation.

I waited the 12 weeks to receive my shoes, and upon receiving them was immensely disappointed. The shoes came with the polishing products in the shoe box (trousers were a different shipment), which is a completely understandable way to ship shoes and polish. However, due to the lack of packaging in the shoe box, there was some damage that had occurred in the shipping process. the worst of it - the ridges that are on the cap and bottom of the saphir wax and cream polish containers had embossed themselves quite deeply into the toe cap of the shoes. see the pictures below. And to add insult to injury, the wax polish had melted during shipping, escaped the container and gotten all over the shoe bags.

I right away contacted customer service (Andre, at the time) to let them know, saying that I would try to give the shoes a polish and see if that would mitigate the damage (something you're really not supposed to do with new shoes, but I didn't really have a choice). it did to a degree, but there still remains to this day a deep imprint on the toe from the damage that occurred during shipping, and it seems no amount of wax will fix the issue. I conveyed this to customer service shortly after, and they were very apologetic, but the only solution that they could offer was 10% off my next order. I get that they didn't want to bite the bullet and make me a new pair of shoes, but this error was due to their own negligence, and arguably making a new pair of shoes is exactly what they should have done to remedy the situation. And to come back and give me 10% off my next order? This was a real slap in the face.

The other gripe that i have with the shoes is there is not really a whole lot of definition to the instep, which im not a fan of. the waist is very tight, but it looks like it was made on a tube shaped last at the inside of the shoe, which doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the last (SG65). there is slack in that area between the upper and the shoe tree, so im thinking that either the shoe wasn't lasted well, or that's just typical of their lasts, being an Asian maker catering towards primarily Asian clientele, who typically have lower arches. could be either, but its a real bummer. These shoes don't get near as much wear as i was hoping for these reasons.

there are plenty of times in the past two years when i have gone to Yeossal's website and been tempted with their products, especially since this order seeing now that Justin Fitzpatrick still speaks very highly of their shoes, as well as their clothing, and more recently Hugo at PG has come out with some nice collaborations with cashmere knitwear. these products all seem very nice, but the experience I had two years ago always comes back to eclipse my desires to do further business with this company, and I'm sorry to say that that will continue. I've checked several times, the discount code that was generated is still good. If you chose to do business here, someone feel free to use "Lucas10" for a convenient 10% off. I have no need for it.

I hope someone finds this helpful, or at least informative. End rant

IMG_6882.JPG

Damage out of box

IMG_6883.JPG

damage out of box
IMG_6884.JPG

damage out of box
IMG_6902.jpg

not a whole lot of definition to the instep, especially compared to the spade sole
IMG_6903.jpg

not a whole lot of definition to the instep. soft lasting, sharp soling, an unappealing combination.
IMG_6909.JPG

after polishing, still a deep imprint on right toe

LKittelb

Reaction score
To compare to the above post, I purchased a pair of shoes from Baudoin & Lange last fall in an online sample sale. The shoes came, and after one wear, some of the stitching in the upper failed. I contacted their customer service about the issue, and it did take a bit of coaxing, but they shipped the shoes from the US back to the UK on their dime for repair. After some time I inquired on status, and they apologetically said that the shoes were not able to be repaired, and that they would have to make me a new pair of shoes via MTO, because the leather (being a sample pair) was discontinued. After a back and forth and at my request, they were just as happy to send me a pair from their current stock, which were full price of course, at no additional cost. Free international shipping all ways.

Although this process did take about 3 months (and would have taken an additional month if I had gone the MTO option) I was thoroughly impressed with B&L’s willingness to stand behind their product, and take the L if it means keeping a customer. They will have my business in the future. And their prices are not a whole lot cheaper than Yeossals MTO handgrade line in the horror story above. Cheers to good costumer service.

Betta

Reaction score
For what its worth, a customer review:

I feel the need to vent a bit, and I probably would have been better to do it some time ago, but I was less familiar with SF at the time... In early 2020, I placed an order for MTO shoes, trousers, and polishing products with Yeossal after hearing about them from Justin Fitzpatrick, who spoke very highly of their shoes. This was to be my first pair of handwelted shoes, and there was much anticipation.

I waited the 12 weeks to receive my shoes, and upon receiving them was immensely disappointed. The shoes came with the polishing products in the shoe box (trousers were a different shipment), which is a completely understandable way to ship shoes and polish. However, due to the lack of packaging in the shoe box, there was some damage that had occurred in the shipping process. the worst of it - the ridges that are on the cap and bottom of the saphir wax and cream polish containers had embossed themselves quite deeply into the toe cap of the shoes. see the pictures below. And to add insult to injury, the wax polish had melted during shipping, escaped the container and gotten all over the shoe bags.

I right away contacted customer service (Andre, at the time) to let them know, saying that I would try to give the shoes a polish and see if that would mitigate the damage (something you're really not supposed to do with new shoes, but I didn't really have a choice). it did to a degree, but there still remains to this day a deep imprint on the toe from the damage that occurred during shipping, and it seems no amount of wax will fix the issue. I conveyed this to customer service shortly after, and they were very apologetic, but the only solution that they could offer was 10% off my next order. I get that they didn't want to bite the bullet and make me a new pair of shoes, but this error was due to their own negligence, and arguably making a new pair of shoes is exactly what they should have done to remedy the situation. And to come back and give me 10% off my next order? This was a real slap in the face.

The other gripe that i have with the shoes is there is not really a whole lot of definition to the instep, which im not a fan of. the waist is very tight, but it looks like it was made on a tube shaped last at the inside of the shoe, which doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the last (SG65). there is slack in that area between the upper and the shoe tree, so im thinking that either the shoe wasn't lasted well, or that's just typical of their lasts, being an Asian maker catering towards primarily Asian clientele, who typically have lower arches. could be either, but its a real bummer. These shoes don't get near as much wear as i was hoping for these reasons.

there are plenty of times in the past two years when i have gone to Yeossal's website and been tempted with their products, especially since this order seeing now that Justin Fitzpatrick still speaks very highly of their shoes, as well as their clothing, and more recently Hugo at PG has come out with some nice collaborations with cashmere knitwear. these products all seem very nice, but the experience I had two years ago always comes back to eclipse my desires to do further business with this company, and I'm sorry to say that that will continue. I've checked several times, the discount code that was generated is still good. If you chose to do business here, someone feel free to use "Lucas10" for a convenient 10% off. I have no need for it.

I hope someone finds this helpful, or at least informative. End rant

Damage out of box

damage out of box

damage out of box

not a whole lot of definition to the instep, especially compared to the spade sole

not a whole lot of definition to the instep. soft lasting, sharp soling, an unappealing combination.

after polishing, still a deep imprint on right toe
They do have a return policy though. You decided to keep them?

LKittelb

Reaction score
They do have a return policy though. You decided to keep them?
I did keep them. Do they have a return policy for MTO items? that's not typical. I do recall now that they may have offered returns with a restocking fee, but that only comes to mind now. In my email exchange with customer service, I asked specifically what my options were, and that option was never presented to me. Perhaps I would have done well to pay the 20% or whatever it is just to get rid of them but like I said, it was never presented. some direct quotes from emails below:

me in my initial email, before i had figured out how the scuffs occurred:

"Is this typical of the quality of your MTO shoes? It seems that these scuffs were not a result of shipping, and that they likely left the shop as such. What options are available to remedy this? "

their final reply, entirely:

"Dear Lucas,

My sincere apologies. As this is the first time we had our customer experience such incident from the shoe polish. We will definitely take note and change our shipping procedure.
I'll take note of your change of address for your trousers orde.
Ive generated a 10% discount code for you as a form of apology. Please use Lucas10.
Again, sincere apologies and thank you so much for your kind understanding."

LKittelb

Reaction score
well if you haven't worn them might as well ask if they would take back
i have worn them since. my understanding from the email exchanges was that my options were:

1. keep the shoes with 10% off my next order.
2. that's it. no other options.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have worn them since. my understanding from the email exchanges was that my options were:

1. keep the shoes with 10% off my next order.
2. that's it. no other options.
If they had been unworn, I believe you could return them but you would be on the hook for shipping and restocking fee

LKittelb

Reaction score
If they had been unworn, I believe you could return them but you would be on the hook for shipping and restocking fee
true, but also would have been dumb, because i would have needed to pay 25% of the cost + shipping for their screw up. and like i said, i asked for the options, and only one option was given.

Adhazem

Reaction score
true, but also would have been dumb, because i would have needed to pay 25% of the cost + shipping for their screw up. and like i said, i asked for the options, and only one option was given.

I agree with you. No excuse. I would have contested the charge with my credit card if they had refused a return with full refund. Amex has an option for that called “goods arrived defective” and they would handle all the headache with the business.

My one and only Yeossal’s were in a great shape. My chosen last, YC3 is appealing to me and fits me well. The shoe trees had to ship way later due to covid delays which is understandable.

I guess lesson learned for you friend. Next time just stick to your gut. No point dwelling on it now.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
with MTO are you even still in the charge back window?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea which last this is on? I took this from their website.

yeossal-1591436906310_a99a64b5-6b57-411d-998c-0a9e463230c1.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can just IG them they can probably get back to you fairly quickly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics