• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, are you accounting for postage, which is now free? And are you accounting for Singaporean VAT, which is no longer deducted (if you're international)?
Unclear to me that they’re not removing VAT. A lot of vendors list the base price and then if you get hit with VAT it’s added in at the shipping section which is what I assumed they were doing.

Another thing that’ll be interesting - I just priced out the most expensive pair I could build which definitely gets over the US Duty threshold and the shipping option shows “no additional taxes to be paid at delivery” - which is definitely nice if they’re shipping it free and with duties paid by them.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anand that's what I get for multitasking at work! scrolled my February email to the end and it was 510sgd...
It’ll still be just a hair more probably because before add ons were paid in full beforehand I think - whereas now they’re split 50/50 but the increase is driven almost entirely by the trees not the option on waists and apparent upcharge that isn’t really an upcharge. My guess since @jacksomeister mentioned they do their dev in-house is that it either was easier or seemed more transparent to them to have it listed as an add on instead opting to display a square waist having a discount of 90 SGD.

Evacipator

Reaction score
I asked them about VAT and they said they had streamlined things so that it was consistently there even internationally, which was the impetus for giving free shipping, which was supposed to make up for that.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still a really solid value overall. We’ve also seen price increases pretty much across the board with a lot of brands this year from Vass to G&G to ACME. This one is really minimal.

Evacipator

Reaction score
Yes, I think there were various adjustments across the board, but it seems reasonable. I have noticed for instance coin pockets now attract an up-charge, and I previously had six polo shirts in my cart but after the update I could only add five of them for the same price (which happened to be dictated by import limits), so there must have been a marked increase there.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
It’ll still be just a hair more probably because before add ons were paid in full beforehand I think - whereas now they’re split 50/50 but the increase is driven almost entirely by the trees not the option on waists and apparent upcharge that isn’t really an upcharge. My guess since @jacksomeister mentioned they do their dev in-house is that it either was easier or seemed more transparent to them to have it listed as an add on instead opting to display a square waist having a discount of 90 SGD.

but anyway since their lasts don't "really" work for my feet, I really don't like the bottom of heel stack leather and I'm just so so about top leather, I think 2 pairs is enough for me! trousers on the other hand I have 5, now I'll start polos!

Evacipator

Reaction score
Currently 10% off almost everything in their anniversary sale!

Good news for anyone who hadn't already put in an order on the new site.

Shame I already places an order after their new website launched - I could have added another shirt :(

Rimaarts

Reaction score
darn it..now I HAVE to order 2 polos...
Currently 10% off almost everything in their anniversary sale!

Good news for anyone who hadn't already put in an order on the new site.

Shame I already places an order after their new website launched - I could have added another shirt :(

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts of Hillcrest vs Gilstead in black box calf?

Viatu

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20201007_192335.jpg
    20201007_192335.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 74

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts of Hillcrest vs Gilstead in black box calf?
In black box I think I’d do Gilstead* for a clean look. In brown or burgundy I’d do Hillcrest* (I tried to, they were out of the leather I wanted so I delayed the order) - edited to actually talk about the right shoes

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In black box I think I’d do hillcrest for a clean look. In brown or burgundy I’d do gilstead (I tried to, they were out of the leather I wanted so I delayed the order)

I would've thought the Gilstead is a cleaner look due to less brouging but perhaps we define "clean" differently.

dpo_custom_option_19022_gilstead3.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I’m just an idiot. I was confusing the collyer and gilstead.

:) So what are your thoughts when comparing the Gilstead vs the Hillcrest?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:) So what are your thoughts when comparing the Gilstead vs the Hillcrest?
I might be biased because I have a shoe in a pattern almost identical to Gilstead from another maker in black calf but it’s become my most worn black oxford. 100% endorse that buy.
Spoiler because different brand. Black in near identical style.
4F59F3C7-975B-49DD-B2E8-D9C7755FCBD9.jpeg
454BADEF-D630-483A-BAC8-B31111D225FC.jpeg
824C4A93-0953-49B5-9A54-D719882D6B7A.jpeg

EBAE6BC5-134F-4743-A2CC-F74B8582188C.jpeg
C14AE5D1-4B4B-48E7-9C52-5CF828204518.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads