• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

svf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for thoughts on Yeossal's various waistbands. I'm looking into the corduroy chinos and really like the clean, extended waistband w/2 buttons. I have a tailor here in Rochester that should be able to handle any minor adjustments in fit, but I'm worried that normal weight fluctuations (maybe +/- 0.5"?) might make this particular waistband too inflexible. Could someone with experience give some insight? I'm not wild about the side-tabs, either button or buckle, so if the double-button doesn't work I'll probably go with either a D-ring or regular belt loops. Any thoughts?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered from Yeossal to Canada? The only shipping they offer is FedEx and I know they are notorious for stacking on fees and charges to Canada. Want the Safari jacket, but kind of don't want to pay $100+ on border charges lol

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered from Yeossal to Canada? The only shipping they offer is FedEx and I know they are notorious for stacking on fees and charges to Canada. Want the Safari jacket, but kind of don't want to pay $100+ on border charges lol
Yes, I think the shipping rate is around 45? But it's with carrier and 100% dinged by the custom, so it's actually a lot to pay.
Do let me know if you figured out a way though, I kept wanting to buy something from them but get scared by the charges.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think the shipping rate is around 45? But it's with carrier and 100% dinged by the custom, so it's actually a lot to pay.
Do let me know if you figured out a way though, I kept wanting to buy something from them but get scared by the charges.
Yea, I know someone who imported something from Asia and it came to about $380 CDN and was dinged $311 at the border by UPS. Not worth it at that point. Wonder is Yeossal would opt for local carrier to Canada in the future

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
Yea, I know someone who imported something from Asia and it came to about $380 CDN and was dinged $311 at the border by UPS. Not worth it at that point. Wonder is Yeossal would opt for local carrier to Canada in the future

Absolute pain ********** is dealing with the carriers... UPS hit me up wiht $80 once for a CAD$115 purchase of boxing gloves... from Mexico. wasn't aware NAFTA (at the time) could just be brushed aside like that.

It's also strikingly hard to determine if casual goods originating from a country Canada has a free trade agreement with are duty free or not. Something tells me even if they are, there needs to be meticulous paperwork accompanying it otherwise you're going to get dinged hard -_-

You can try to file a claim to CBSA with something like hey so like these shoes were made in Spain and like.. CEFTA says that means i'm good to go? can i have my money back please? though i've yet to try that out... Also it's such a pain to fill out that form lol

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can try to file a claim to CBSA with something like hey so like these shoes were made in Spain and like.. CEFTA says that means i'm good to go? can i have my money back please? though i've yet to try that out... Also it's such a pain to fill out that form lol

I don't think so, CETA only allows duty-free on items made in Euro and shipped from EURO, if I understand correctly.

Or maybe send to US and use services such as cross boarder pickup or proxy.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolute pain ********** is dealing with the carriers... UPS hit me up wiht $80 once for a CAD$115 purchase of boxing gloves... from Mexico. wasn't aware NAFTA (at the time) could just be brushed aside like that.

It's also strikingly hard to determine if casual goods originating from a country Canada has a free trade agreement with are duty free or not. Something tells me even if they are, there needs to be meticulous paperwork accompanying it otherwise you're going to get dinged hard -_-

I, personally, haven't had a problem ordering things made in Mexico, or anywhere in Europe with carriers. Though taxes are still charged, thus they can then charge their "brokerage fees" on top of it for basically them paying the bill for you and being the middle man. However, from Asia, definitely get whooped with fees unless it is the local carrier and gets delivered to Canada Post. Will probably ask if it is possible when I order from Yeossal to see if FedEx is only option. USA is lucky as they basically never have to pay for stuff at border unless very unlucky or very high worth package lol

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
I don't think so, CETA only allows duty-free on items made in Euro and shipped from EURO, if I understand correctly.

Or maybe send to US and use services such as cross boarder pickup or proxy. Either way, not quite exactly legal I suppose

I remember in my read through that if the items stay within the customs handling (like it's made in spain but shipped to NYC and all the customs handlings were there) then it's still good to go for us canucks to remain duty free. This is also something Justin Fitzpatrick mentioned wrt to buying from his own brand. Check out article 14 in the following: https://www.international.gc.ca/tra...agr-acc/ceta-aecg/text-texte/P1.aspx?lang=eng

I, personally, haven't had a problem ordering things made in Mexico, or anywhere in Europe with carriers. Though taxes are still charged, thus they can then charge their "brokerage fees" on top of it for basically them paying the bill for you and being the middle man. However, from Asia, definitely get whooped with fees unless it is the local carrier and gets delivered to Canada Post. Will probably ask if it is possible when I order from Yeossal to see if FedEx is only option. USA is lucky as they basically never have to pay for stuff at border unless very unlucky or very high worth package lol

Other than that one mishap, I've had the same experience. Swedish shops have been just fine and dandy. My only ordering from Asia was with Fugashin who... did me a favor, shall we say. Despite that, it was still far above the $20CAD limit and I didn't get dinged for that... so either the limit got raised or FedEx was sleeping that day lol.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember in my read through that if the items stay within the customs handling (like it's made in spain but shipped to NYC and all the customs handlings were there) then it's still good to go for us canucks to remain duty free. This is also something Justin Fitzpatrick mentioned. Check out article 14 in the following: https://www.international.gc.ca/tra...agr-acc/ceta-aecg/text-texte/P1.aspx?lang=eng

Other than that one mishap, I've had the same experience. Swedish shops have been just fine and dandy. My only ordering from Asia was with Fugashin who... did me a favor, shall we say. Despite that, it was still far above the $20CAD limit and I didn't get dinged for that... so either the limit got raised or FedEx was sleeping that day lol.
Thanks for this.. I recall I used to buy some euro made product from USA, when I got hit for duty, I argue it's Euro made but they said it has to be shipped from Euro as well. I hope I saw this earlier.

Anyway, will try to explain this in the next time..

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
Thanks for this.. I recall I used to buy some euro made product from USA, when I got hit for duty, I argue it's Euro made but they said it has to be shipped from Euro as well. I hope I saw this earlier.

Anyway, will try to explain this in the next time..

Hahahah I remember hearing someone have this exact discussion after getting into the office in the morning after a particularly nasty day on the 401 and I could hear the frustration multiplying on itself.

I've also been told that a "made in ____" stamping isn't enough and that t here needs to be a declaration of origin in the format that the Canadian government/CEFTA/CBSA specifies (it's not particularly difficult though it's like a date and filling in one blank with a signature and can be found easily online). So might be worthwhile to ask the retailer to print+fill that out next time if it's a product purchased with a "middleman" in the shipping destination like J.Fitzpatrick.,

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, hello beautiful.

Disclaimer: Chuck Taylor’s not via Yeossal
3AF2F0FF-DD80-4EDD-A5BF-EB33E1F5004A.jpeg

rwtc

Reaction score
A first sneak peek at the jodhpur GMTO that we commissioned, in DR70, although I'm not sure if any of us actually went with one of the existing lasts, as I think we all chose the adjusted YSQ last. Perhaps Yeossal wants to keep us in suspense. Anyway, I am very happy with how it looks, as well we saved on the shoe trees and free shipping, and hopefully it'll be shipped out soon just as it gets cooler.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A first sneak peek at the jodhpur GMTO that we commissioned, in DR70, although I'm not sure if any of us actually went with one of the existing lasts, as I think we all chose the adjusted YSQ last. Perhaps Yeossal wants to keep us in suspense. Anyway, I am very happy with how it looks, as well we saved on the shoe trees and free shipping, and hopefully it'll be shipped out soon just as it gets cooler.

These look fantastic!! Yes I did select the YSQ Modified last as well and looking forward to them.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did Order the wool safari jacket.FedEx was suppose to deliver it initially on October 2nd but I’m hopefully receiving them tomorrow. So far no duties were asked for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads