Yellowing shirt collars

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pitonboy, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

OxyClean is indeed the shiz. Thank you, Ghost of Billy Mays!

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vman's suggestions work.

Moving forward if you simply spray your collars with Shout or a similar stain spray before washing that helps. I spray with shout, rub a bar of soap on the area and use a small nylon brush to loosed dirt/stains. This method works well for arm pit yellowing too. But it is best as a preventative.

Regarding these yellowing stains. They seem to change depending upon the type of deodorant and mosturizers I use. Collars seem to get more stains in the summer due to my use of sun screens . Many of the waterproof sunscreens have residual amounts that can last for a day and stain collars even after a good scrub of my neck in the shower.

Once a stain is put in the dryer it also seems to set it. Try to get these stains out completely before drying.

3. SamuraiJeans

SamuraiJeans New Member

I'm curious if you are joking or is this true? If it does work, then won't the rectified alcohol be a problem because then, you would smell like alcohol? Also, I google-ed Cologne Water and could not find any : ( Your response.

4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents,
    Yellow stains on my shirt collar has been a big problem for me as long I can remember.
    I have tried the oxy clean/vinegar…..everything . Some of them I soaked for over 1-4 days. With multiple of application of oxy clean and hot water and tons of detergents. And small brush specifically designed to hand clean the collar.
    The results were somewhat satisfactory. The shirts still had small yellow marks on them. These shirts are light blue and white in colour.
    My verdict – This will work at some degree but you will never get rid of the stain completely. And heavy usages of oxy clean somehow destroys the fabric so next time you wear it will get stained easily.

5. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I use shout and scrub the collar each time I wash them, and wash with oxy clean and my shirts stay white as new. Also, I've found that typically wrinkle resistant shirts are also more stain resistant, so you might want to consider that.

6. david3558

david3558 Senior member

My white shirts' collars definitely bug me when the inside of the collars get dirty. I hadn't seen this thread but my mom recommended that I try Oxy Clean and it had been working wonderfully for me.

Out of curiosity, how often should we be washing a dress shirt? I want to keep my shirts clean but I don't want them to have their life shortened by too many washes...

7. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I make take some crap for this, but I have worn dress shirts 10+ times before washing. I steam out the wrinkles and iron the collar a few times between wearings. I also use febreeze from time to time, though I generally do wash them if there is even a hint of bad odor. If you want to do this, wearing undershirts is mandatory.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Do you not have enough shirts? :puzzled:

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I have enough, but I see no point in washing them unnecessarily (i.e. no odors or stains). Washing can wear them out sooner.

10. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I don't really suffer from this problem, but I do fear it, so I've recently started having my shirts made with a patterned fabric inside the collar. In the past I've had good success soaking and scrubbing with diluted Murphy's Oil Soap. YMMV.

11. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

FOR THAT PROBLEM, USE:

[​IMG]

PAGING SPOOO :lol:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. david3558

david3558 Senior member

13. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

I've done 2 wears a shirt, but always wear undershirt. It's not a regular habit.

14. q6312

q6312 Member