• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellowing on handkerchiefs?

Ed13

Reaction score
I just received some linen handkerchiefs I purchased on Ebay. They are quite old (possibly 40's) and appear to have yellowing from the acid in their original boxes. I was wondering what is the best way to clean them?

Some have hand rolled edges and others have dyed coloured stripes and I don't want to damage them. I thought about dry cleaning but was worried the hand rolled edges would be pressed flat.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought about dry cleaning but was worried the hand rolled edges would be pressed flat.
They almost certainly will be. You could try a really good (i.e., expensive) dry cleaner, and explain to them exactly how you want them pressed. Let them try just one and see how it turns out.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to say that I am not sure how happy I would be to buy old handkerchiefs. I get the feeling that they are a little too personal for that....

Ed13

Reaction score
The handkerchiefs are all still new in original boxes with pins and paper. The reason they are yellowed is just due to age. The boxes and styles of handkerchiefs appear to be 40's and possibly 50's for a couple of packages. I purchased them because I have had a hard time finding linen pocket squares with any kind of pattern. At times I would like to wear linen but with a little more flair than just plain white.

stripes22

Reaction score
Wouldn't good old blueing work? I'm sure one can still find it in the detergent aisle of grocery stores. A few drops--read the bottle.--in the wash and they should be white again. (I'm guessing, I don't know for a fact).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads