• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new site is a big step forward. I think continuing to work on tweaking the way the images of the ties are posted to the site would be a good idea - maybe the ability to zoom or having more vertical close up shots of the ties the way you did with that sold out Zegna that's still on there would be good.

I'm not trying to nitpick but some of the backgrounds are a bit of a distraction when looking at the ties. I think a plain white backdrop or other such minimal background would be better than most of the textured backgrounds in the images.

Also, congrats on managing to basically sell out of every tie you post to the site.

iamercole

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rob, the new website is fantastic. Nothing against your old site, but you should have your yellow hook domain go directly to this site. Also, make more ties. From the looks of the website you're just about out of everything.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wish we could make more, but we're VERY particular when it comes to the quality of our ties. Getting them this good, with SO much handwork, requires a LOT of time. We've tried using a tie manufacturer, that a lot of SF approved brands use to make ties, but they just weren't even close. This way we can control the quality, make sure they all have our soft structure. We're always looking for new people to help out, but we're turning them away as the work just isn't where it needs to be.

I think if we find another person, or maybe two we'll be where we want to be production wise, but I won't make more to sell unless they're just as good as the ones we're making now.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, here's one for you: Terroni

And I also learned something from this tie. I misread the name as torrone, which are delicious and which I got from one of my grandmothers every Christmas. I also seem to recall torrone with the outside stamped
with a reticulated pattern like the one on this tie. But on looking up terroni, I now take it to be a term of reference (originally derogatory but appropriated now with pride I hope...) to the residents of Southern Italy. NYI please correct me if my 2 minutes of research has led me astray. Anyway pleased nonetheless that this beautiful tie led me to a little philology this am.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, here's one for you: Terroni

And I also learned something from this tie. I misread the name as torrone, which are delicious and which I got from one of my grandmothers every Christmas. I also seem to recall torrone with the outside stamped
with a reticulated pattern like the one on this tie. But on looking up terroni, I now take it to be a term of reference (originally derogatory but appropriated now with pride I hope...) to the residents of Southern Italy. NYI please correct me if my 2 minutes of research has led me astray. Anyway pleased nonetheless that this beautiful tie led me to a little philology this am.

Yup, that right FC! I'm a proud Terroni (and its a great book about the history of my ancestors by Pino Aprile) and the earthy tones of this tie lent itself perfectly to the name. Terroni loosely translates into "people of the earth" because of the rural South (outside of Naples of course) that was applied to all Southerners after "unification" (Note the quotation marks) as a derogatory term that is now used by the South's children as a word that can bond us and fill us with pride. The history of where I come from, as well as my family's, is an interesting read and full of surprises. Lets just put it this way, over 3/4 of all Italian-Americans are Terroni like myself, and they all came after 1861, when Savoy occupied the land. We have our own language (it's not a dialect, in fact, it's much older than the standard Italian spoken today) cuisine, culture and identity that far too many (even Italian Americans) don't know about and its nothing like what we all assume is "Italian". OK, end of history lesson...

We should have a nice restock tomorrow, and we'll offer a new discount when the new web site drops this week!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another reason why its great to be on SF, you guys get the heads up on a small restock:
Terroni Cashmere Tattersall one available @ Yellowhookneckties.com ($169.99-$20)
IMG_6308_zps6641dbfc.jpg

Italian Wool Cashmere Tattersall ($124.99-$20)
IMG_9741_zpsdbe0c1ed.jpg
This sold out at the trunk show in about 20 minutes, its the middle tie here and not yet online...pm me if you'd like this one, we'll photograph it tomorrow or Tuesday and put it right up online. We have two of these available.
Drapers Cashmere Dark Houndstooth, two available @ yellowhookneckties.com ($169.99-$20)
IMG_6246_zpsbaf51c0b.jpg

Code for SF Discount this week is (
SFDec9
)

I'll be updating the SF discount code every few weeks, so keep checking back, no more need to pm me and wait for an invoice.

We also have one of my pet projects, a raw denim selvedge tie...its an unlined three fold and is slightly wider than 3" at the widest point of the blade. PM me for this, its available at $124.99-$20. Its the tie on the far left:
IMG_5768_zps78ad3e89.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New code until Dec 19 is

yhdec2013

This discount os for all, not just SF, so if you see something you like, I'd jump on it!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the new site not work well with Safari? Looks like it's the only version of the site I can access either through bookmarks or entering a URL.

The Paypal button doesn't do anything at all and the checkout button gives me a weird error:

Checkout System disabled

You must choose a plan and enter your credit card details before checkout is enabled. (request_id: 7e16cbfa246c1625b5f99c07c53a461e)

Except there's nowhere to do any of what is mentioned in the error.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When will you be updating with new stock?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We were experiencing some technical difficulties today with our new website but everything should be running smoothly now. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We don't expect any new stock until January but we do expect some restock of items sold out at the trunk show over the next few weeks.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sherwood Forest Cashmere

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
perfect tie for the surroundings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads