1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Imhoff, Dec 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. razl

razl Stylish Dinosaur

While I am sad to see this I am enthusiastic for your evolution. I was excited about your menswear offerings and was looking forward to your expanding them but, if the market isn't there and your passions are elsewhere, then it is time to move on.

For what it's worth, the only reason I hadn't bought any shirts was because I'm tall and the sizing just didn't work for me. I'm also still kicking myself for missing out on the blue plaid Loro Piana tie from last year.

Still, wishing you the best of luck - upwards and onwards!

2. razl

razl Stylish Dinosaur

@NewYorkIslander and, while I'm here and still thinking about rolling the dice, for the white end-on-end napoli shirt - is that fabric preshrunk? The YH3's 35.5 is my minimum in sleeve length. Or, is it possible to order it with +1" on the sleeves? And, I suppose while I'm asking, is it possible to get it with a french front/sans-placket?

I know, I know you're trying to get out of these and here I am digging the hole...

3. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

As I told you via PM, this is no doubt a bummer personally, but I think (and you’d obviously know more) this is a smart move, brand wise. For better or worse, I feel menswear is becoming more of a niche audience nowadays, and a market that, by size alone, is more difficult to get and maintain a foothold than in others.
    I’ll always greatly value my YH ties and shirts. I suppose they will always be my personal chunk of American history. I’m also looking forward to the final collection drops, and will be eager to see how the workwear side develops. Not as much for me, but I do have some family members (father included) who could put some heavy duty workshirts through their paces!

4. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

I LOVE my Yellow Hook shirts and would have bought more if I'd found them earlier in my wardrobe building. After a couple of washes the YH2 fits me perfectly. Will eagerly await the final iteration of these.

5. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

YH shirt wasn't going to fit me, tie wise if I was building things from scratch would probably have bought more, glad you guys are moving on to the next stage as all business has to evolve to survive and hopefully thrive!

6. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

Yep, anxious to see whats to come!

Do you have a timeframe on when the last line of Napoli shirts and ties will be going live?

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

sad to hear this rob. love your stuff. You are right - menswear goes niche when the economy is doing well (which it is right now), and menswear gets popular when the economy is doing less well. When economy booms, casual reigns, when economy busts, people seek out more classic fits.

I will always love the classic you do rob. I think the new logo reminds me of biggie.

8. La Fin Du Monde

La Fin Du Monde Active Member

I would be interested in doing this if others were too. It would be nice to get a new tie or shirt every quarter from the menswear division of Yellow Hook.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 2:47 PM

9. flashjack

flashjack Member

Where do I sign on to this massdrop petition?

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

the other thing that is tough with menswear is: how many ties and shirts does a man need/can have space for?
    I have over 200 ties and about 80-100 dress shirts... hard to acquire more from a space/storage standpoint and a need standpoint. I love YH ties. I regret passing on my limited edition vicuna tie. That was a truly incredible piece. I still have about 10 to 12 YH ties as part of my standing collection. Love them all. On top of that, it is great to support Rob and his wife. I have met Rob, and he is a pure gentleman, no matter what he wears. Did think he had awesome swag when wearing tailored clothing!

11. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

space is definitely one thing as well as how often I'm going to wear them. I have been actively down sizing, probably had ~100 ties at certain point, finally got down to about 30 ish, try to limit my shirt to ~20 as well, though suit + sports coat is over 30 at the moment (and more to come)..., shoes is at least down to 15 ish from 30+, though looks like that's going up again...

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

We may be open to doing something like that...I would run it through here. Unfortunately $99 is still below my wholesale price, however. Anything we do like that would be $125 and up, which is still a great deal for what it is.

We have them in hand, just have to do photography. So in the next couple weeks I'd say.

Turnaround on ties is just too long now, but we can certainly do shirts.

13. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thx bud.

...and yup, this is 100% true. We seemed to have hit our max customer base without spending thousands on advertising. If we did do that, I think our prices would have to be significantly different.

Having said that, the last few drops are not to be missed. We have some great Tom Ford 150's and silk, a few silk seersuckers (absolutely insane) and some terrofic luxurious silks and cashmeres coming out in the bunch.

14. Goodman

Goodman Senior Member

l'm also disappointed to hear the news but I'm hopeful all is not lost for me.

I have never been a fan of over shirts or CPO’s but I did purchase the Plaid Heritage Work Shirt and I love it. From the moment I opened the package it’s been one of my favorite items of the many I have from Yellow Hook.

The fabric, fit and finish is such that it qualifies as menswear yet it is still funky and over shirty enough to qualify as street wear. It’s really incredibly versatile. In one night I have gone from romantic, candle lit bar to dive bar/live music venue and all I needed to do to “fit in” was go from tucked and buttoned to untucked and unbuttoned (appropriate concert tee shirt underneath suggested).

While I will definitely miss the Napoli dress shirts I can see myself being drawn to more interesting make ups like the Plaid Heritage.

15. mactire

mactire Senior Member

:-(, sorry to hear this.

You guys had great access to cloth, any chance you'd sell direct as well? I mean this for the workwear stuff as well. It's next to impossible to get the hefty chambray or heavier cottons from the regular sources for shirting.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]