1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Imhoff, Dec 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. La Fin Du Monde

La Fin Du Monde Active Member

I own one of these and it changes color depending on the light. It has a totally different look and feel in shadows than under bright light. It makes it really fun to watch how your eye perceives it depending on the conditions.

2. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

It's nothing that YH fans don't already know, but I received my most recent TH delivery this week and it deserves praise, both the product and the customer service. Always high quality materials, always high quality construction, always dealing with high quality business owners.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

4. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

If anyone missed the grey chambray Napoli in a YH3, drop me a note. I'm forcing myself to admit my arms aren't likely to shrink enough to make it work as more than a casual shirt. Plus, your money would help me justify buying that blue plaid shirt in the post above!

I'm going to give me blue pinpoint another try, but if those sleeves are still too short I might rehome that one too. These are my favorite dress shirts, except that the sleeves are just a bit too short for me to wear them with a jacket.

5. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

@NewYorkIslander or anyone else, do you know if this tie is the Rustic Americana currently on the site, or is this pattern from an earlier season and now gone?

[​IMG]

6. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

7. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

8. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

You’d be a fool not to buy it. I would also suggest adding the coffee plaid to your cart. Such a money tie. Great for transitional weather.

9. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

As part of my closet cleaning/move to MTM shirts, I'm looking to rehome my sun washed blue chambray Napoli dress shirt. Personal fit aside, it is without a doubt my favorite shirt. Not super inclined to sell it but figured I would give it a try. It's a YH3. Let me know if anyone is interested...

10. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

Just bought the copperline myself, @clee1982. It's a bit brighter in person and goes very well with anything navy, dark green, or deep brown. Ties a great knot, too. Glad I bought it and would do it again.

11. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

NM

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

12. duff406

duff406 Senior Member

The rustic blue plaid flannel is getting an insane amount of wear this winter.

IMG_20180113_143536.jpg

13. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior Member

Any word on when the new tie collection will be rolling in?

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

That looks GREAT. If you're a fan of this shirt, you're going to love where we're going with YH. More on that in a bit.

Soon, we're photographing the last bunch right now.

For those of you who missed it, we will be taking Yellow Hook in a completely different direction starting in the Fall of 2018. This Spring will be our LAST collection of our hand made neckwear, and we'll be doing less and less #menswear inspired staples. To be frank, it's just not earning us enough for the effort we put in. My personal passion, and style, has evolved over the past few years to the point where menswear has become completely irrelevant in my life. I feel many Americans are going this route as well, and are looking for clothing that will make them feel comfortable and look good with a bit more of an edge to it. On top of it, we're practically giving our stuff away at our prices. For those who don't know, we make our shirts side by side, using the same construction as Domenico Vacca (whose shirts retail at almost 5 times our price). While that may work for a shop like their's with a Madison Ave Storefront and a huge marketing budget, we're literally just two public school teachers...with ZERO marketing. Combine that with the fact that I don't even wear the stuff anymore, it makes it even harder to promote. We don't even have a budget to hire a photographer with what we make to do product shots.

So...we're going to be taking Yellow Hook in a completely different direction after the upcoming Spring Season. We'll be featuring a full line of handmade neckties this season, but after that, NO MORE. We'll also be featuring one last go around of our fantastic (and if you know how shirts are made, and what kind of labor goes into really making a handmade, single needle shirt in the US) Heirloom Button Downs and Napoli Spread Collars. These shirts and ties, once they're gone, and there aren't many, will be our last under this Yellow Hook brand.

Our rebrand will be geared more towards the streetwear crowd. Good news is, we'll be keeping the work shirts in our rotation, all made by hand at the same shop we've been using, the same shop where DV shirts are currently made and the shop that put Engineered Garments and Supreme on the map, and we do own the patterns I designed for the Heirloom Button Downs and Napoli Spread Collars. Should anyone here want any of those, please reach out and we'll be doing bespoke options via email only under the old label, for $250 a shirt.

This is an exciting time for us, and one that we feel we'll be able to do better with by allowing our passion to be injected back into a brand that already makes the world's best products.

15. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

Sorry to hear this, not least because (and maybe this speaks to the lack of marketing) I had no idea you were making shirts, and a $99 fully handmade shirt is an unbelievably good deal. Ok, I'm in the UK so generally I don't look for makers on other continents, but still I find it unbelievable that a deal like that wouldn't be a best seller.

Maybe you'd be open to doing massdrop-style group buys on shirts or ties, that guaranteed you a certain number of sales for an item in advance?