• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread

Goodman

Reaction score
So many great ties. Just shed a tear for those of us who can't wear wool/linen garments. Cashmere and linen on the other hand is fine but - as stated before - I don't wear ties that often in NYC summer heat/humidity. Yet I'm still tempted by a few.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha there's some truth to that!

By the way, great collar in your photo above. Seems a great cutaway (though I like mine just slightly taller in front). Who's the maker on your shirts -- or on that shirt in particular?

That's a Proper Cloth shirt in their Mercer white broadcloth. The collar is their regular President spread collar (not President II). I have most of my standard business shirts with that collar but am branching out into some Londoner and Roma Cutaway collars as of late.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as too many ties of any color...especially blue.
cheers.gif
As someone who has yet another blue on the way, I concur.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really interested in this one, which you wear very well. Do you find the cashmere makes it warm or fuzzy, though? Wondering about it in the dog days of August.

Great question. The guys helped out above, but I'll also add that the type of weave really does impact how the garment will wear, more so than the fabric content. You're thinking of a woolen weave, which generally is that "fuzzy type" of weave that wears much warmer with thicker and shorter yarns, while worsted weaves are the opposite. Almost all of our summer ties are of the worsted variety. I believe the only ones that aren't are the Navy and Grey Zegna 100% Cashmere, which would wear warmer, though with the light construction, would still be suitable for anything other than over 85 or 90.

Here's a great chart that helps explain the two types of weaves.

http://missourifamilies.org/quick/materialqa/material26.htm

I definitely should add that to descriptions in the future, though.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great question. The guys helped out above, but I'll also add that the type of weave really does impact how the garment will wear, more so than the fabric content. You're thinking of a woolen weave, which generally is that "fuzzy type" of weave that wears much warmer with thicker and shorter yarns, while worsted weaves are the opposite. Almost all of our summer ties are of the worsted variety. I believe the only ones that aren't are the Navy and Grey Zegna 100% Cashmere, which would wear warmer, though with the light construction, would still be suitable for anything other than over 85 or 90.

Here's a great chart that helps explain the two types of weaves.

http://missourifamilies.org/quick/materialqa/material26.htm

I definitely should add that to descriptions in the future, though.

This is the nerdiest chart and I love it so much. Thanks NYR for the link and the thorough explanation!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you guys are on IG, you'd have seen this yesterday:

Surprise Heirloom Button Down! A super Streaky and Flecked Italian Cotton. It has the feel of a super light Incotex Chino Lino, but is 100% washed cotton in a super indigo color with white flecks. We'll be adding smokey grey MOP buttons on this and it WILL be our debut in shirts. We only have about 20 units of this as we secured the very last bit of it that will ever be made, and it will be online by next week if all goes according to plan. We do have enough for three units if anyone needs a size other than 1-4 (Small-Extra Large), PM me for details. I should have measurements up Tuesday morning for those curious, which means we can get the pre-orders rolling on the Pinpoint Oxford Heirloom Button Down as well.

Stay tuned, it will be a very exciting few weeks for us!

RuleOfRescue

Reaction score
I have that same tie and love it, @imys - looking sharp!
Just grabbed the Dry Navy Linen that popped up on the website - first purchase of the season, whilst I wait for the Linen Patriot to restock.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Draper's Brick Red Linen/Silk

For some reason this one was tough to photograph and the true color is closest to the first picture. It's a really interesting tie and I'm glad I picked it up.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just grabbed the Dry Navy Linen that popped up on the website - first purchase of the season, whilst I wait for the Linen Patriot to restock.

Good pickup! I had been contemplating that navy linen as well. Since I had just received a midnight blue linen from Hober I went with Zegna navy cashmere instead. It's delightful!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good pickup!  I had been contemplating that navy linen as well.  Since I had just received a midnight blue linen from Hober I went with Zegna navy cashmere instead.  It's delightful!

I have to be honest, hearing us mentioned along side some of these other great tie makers is pretty humbling. I love what we do, and think what we make is terrific, but I still sometimes have "pinch me" moments when I read posts like this and get emails from customers who love it as much as we do. Thanks so much for the high praise, and all of you for shopping with us. I know you have a ton of choice out there these days, and we're ever grateful that you hold Yellow Hook in the same regard as these other worthy brands. Thank you @CLTesquire for this specifically, and more broadly all of you guys!

imys

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment @RuleOfRescue . It's such a great tie, as all YHN are. I love how the green compliments the light grey (not very well captured in the pictures), but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

That Dry Navy Linen looks amazing - you won't be disappointed. I have several navy linens from previous year's and and a few MTO - they are fantastic and so lightweight. I too am waiting for the Patriot - looks killer!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads