• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow cords?

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
I saw these beautiful cords online the other day, a soft rich buttery yellow, and I definitely think I can pull em off. No problems with pink pants or kelly greens or any of that sort of thing. But the nature of these pants confuses me. Cords are naturally colder weather wear but something this bright? I would never wear my reds or my cream colored pants in the winter, and had I a pair of chinos in this color, I wouldn't wear those in the winter either. So what is a good season to wear these in? Early fall? early spring?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just winter. Very popular over here, and in West London. I've got different colours coming out of my ears.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think you would be best served with a mustard color rather than a bright yellow. Cords in bright colors can be very unforgiving.

But yellow isn't as bad as bright red, so maybe they can be his "go to heck" pants.
satisfied.gif

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
the question is why wouldn't you wear them in the winter? as Ich Dien says, in Italy they are worn all of the time in the winter and it's true. When I lived in Florence, I always saw gentlemen wearing them during the colder months. Buttery yellow is not canary yellow so hopefully you won't be sticking out like a sore thumb. I would say get them and wear them during the winter. They are meant for cold seasons. Maybe just avoid super wet days.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I have one pair in mustard/gold and another pair in butter (almost pastel) yellow. Love the mustard/gold ones. Love the look of the butter yellow ones but never feel bold enough to wear them.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're going through a phase of clothes buying that's quite off road and once you return to the road that fits your personality and makes you feel most comfortable you'll be donating those yellow pants to Goodwill. Speaking from experience, of course.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Just winter. Very popular over here... I've got different colours coming out of my ears.

Definitely true... lots of shops are selling brightly coloured cords, more so than in previous years. Yellow is certainly not a colour that looks good on my skin tone, but I did get a plum cord jacket this year.

There are some really vivid colours around this year: yellow, turquoise, electric blue, purple, forest green, etc, etc. I like them; it's nice to have a splash of colour on an overcast day, and in winter sunshine they look stunning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads