• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Year of the Bull - limited shoe from Koronya

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
This is the method I start to make shoes:

http://handmadeshoes.wordpress.com/

The model is the "Year of the Bull" (and not ox - even the English translation is that... this is made from bull leather, and the original Chinese name is just about cattle..)

Anyway: opinions are welcome, as it is just in design phase, so I can change anything yet.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
The model is the "Year of the Bull" (and not ox - even the English translation is that... this is made from bull leather, and the original Chinese name is just about cattle..)

Anyway: opinions are welcome, as it is just in design phase, so I can change anything yet.

The general term for ox, cow or bull is NIU2. Ox is specifically RUN2. The translation is for RUN2 which is specifically ox, not bull. It is correctly termed, The Year of the Ox.

deathrow1986

Reaction score
And the shoe looks very nice aswell
inlove.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
The general term for ox, cow or bull is NIU2. Ox is specifically RUN2. The translation is for RUN2 which is specifically ox, not bull. It is correctly termed, The Year of the Ox.

??? What are you talking about?

The correct term shall be the year of "Niu2", if run2 is specifically for ox, then why the Year of Ox is "correctly termed"?

BTW, the shoe look good.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MarcellHUN, you are a StyleForum treasure, and that's no hyperbole. Thank you for sharing so much of your information and photos - with all the time you take to do this for us, I find it hard to believe that you get much sleep with all the other "real" work you have to get done!

MarcellHUN

Reaction score

Before I wrote anything haughty - let me thank you for your contribution for the thread!

So, let me share my research results in the topic:

niu2 - means catle (ox, bull, cow.. whatever) - we agree in it. run2 - means leap year, or at least my mainland based chinese friends doesn't know about any other meaning. Please post if you do so (with the Chinese character). The Chinese term for "year of the ox" is "year of the niu2 (牛)" - what we agreed before. QED.

More about this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox_(zodiac)

And let tell you one more thing: this is "year of the BULL" for me and Koronya. And I promise I don't never make shoes from tiger leather in 2010.
smile.gif

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
MarcellHUN, you are a StyleForum treasure, and that's no hyperbole. Thank you for sharing so much of your information and photos - with all the time you take to do this for us, I find it hard to believe that you get much sleep with all the other "real" work you have to get done!

Thanks! It is my pleasure to share my beautiful craft with the community and keep it alive.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
Before I wrote anything haughty - let me thank you for your contribution for the thread!

So, let me share my research results in the topic:

niu2 - means catle (ox, bull, cow.. whatever) - we agree in it. run2 - means leap year, or at least my mainland based chinese friends doesn't know about any other meaning. Please post if you do so (with the Chinese character). The Chinese term for "year of the ox" is "year of the niu2 (牛)" - what we agreed before. QED.

More about this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox_(zodiac)

And let tell you one more thing: this is "year of the BULL" for me and Koronya. And I promise I don't never make shoes from tiger leather in 2010.
smile.gif

Haha! Tiger leather.

Here is the character: 犉

Oxen is a sub-genus of cattle and a bull is simply the male form of cattle. Oxen are common in several asian countries--they are also castrated. Oxen are used as work animals--bulls are not.

A simple test would be to line up a bull and an oxen next to each other. Then ask a Han to point to whose year it is. S/he will point to the oxen.

Beautiful shoes by the way--but I am sure you already knew that.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/20...nt_7417391.htm

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS

+1. I love threads like this.

plotter

Reaction score
Price for this? What other colors do you provide? I am very interested in owning a shoe in this rare, salacious leather.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
At the moment I just plan to use these two colours:

dsc03561.jpg

but maybe later I will extend with a cognac too.

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Haha! Tiger leather. Here is the character: 犉 Oxen is a sub-genus of cattle and a bull is simply the male form of cattle. Oxen are common in several asian countries--they are also castrated. Oxen are used as work animals--bulls are not. A simple test would be to line up a bull and an oxen next to each other. Then ask a Han to point to whose year it is. S/he will point to the oxen. Beautiful shoes by the way--but I am sure you already knew that. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/20...nt_7417391.htm
I cannot argue.. The beautiful Han girl living with me is watching TV, so I will ask her next time. Anyway: thanks for the info!

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A simple test would be to line up a bull and an oxen next to each other. Then ask a Han to point to whose year it is. S/he will point to the oxen.

I don't think so, s/he will say both is ok.

Chinese has many characters for cattle, some are more common than 犉: 牡, 牝, 犢, 牯.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't expect chinese lessons in a clothings forum

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
i didn't expect chinese lessons in a clothings forum

Well, we are well educated guys.. knowledge is everywhere..
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GamesBond