• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aegraue

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a pair of Yanko shoes from patine.pl, and I was curious about the difference in quality between Yanko and Carlos Santos. They seem to occupy a similar price point (with Yanko on the cheaper side), but I haven't been able to find any comparisons. Does anyone have experience with both brands?

jamie411

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a pair of Yanko shoes from patine.pl, and I was curious about the difference in quality between Yanko and Carlos Santos. They seem to occupy a similar price point (with Yanko on the cheaper side), but I haven't been able to find any comparisons. Does anyone have experience with both brands?

I own both, as well as several Carmina. I think Yanko and CS are very similar in quality. Both are very good brands and I think offer great value. I know Skoaktiebolaget charges north of $300 for CS, but they can often be found for cheaper elsewhere.

Jaggery

Reaction score
Anyone else think Yanko seem a bit sturdier, and CS a bit finer? Both companies are obviously capable of making a variety of styles with different kinds of soles, etc. But, if I had to choose sight unseen, I'd be more inclined to pick a pair of Yanko derbies/boots if I anticipated a lot of walking outside, and more inclined to go with CS derbies/boots for a business meeting. (This would be different if the business were, say, construction contracting.) I don't have enough firsthand familiarity with the two makers' oxfords to extend the hypothesis to dressier models.

Last edited:

qiosas

Reaction score
Just receive my order from Skolyx - Yanko monks in mixed brown. Overall looks nice, true to the size (although some people mentioned that this is roomy last, while it is quite opposite for me). Qualitywise two small issues - dent on one of the shoes and holes on the buckle straps look quite tired and used right out of the box - feels like they won't hold for long. Other than that only colour is a bit different from what I expected - it is more hazelnut brown rather than reddish woody brown on the website. Let's see how those straps and overall shoe will hold up to the use.
signal-2018-05-25-193219.jpg signal-2018-05-25-193216.jpg signal-2018-05-25-193221.jpg signal-2018-05-25-193223.jpg

The Heat

Reaction score
Can you guys help me with the 962 last? I'm "this close" to getting the brown austerity brogue from skolyx.

First, the aesthetics. Is it a clown shoe? Some pictures make it look pretty bulky, while in others it looks relatively sleek. I usually go for classic and not chiseled, but I don't want a bulky, wide shoe. Does anyone have experience with 962 vs. AE's 65, Loake's Capital, and/or Meermins' Hiro? Those are lasts that are relatively classic that I don't hate.

Second, the fit. I wear:
- AE 65: 10D fits me quite well.
- Meermin Hiro: 9 fits me okay, a little loose in the middle/heel, but liveable.
- Carmina Rain: 9 fits okay, a little tight in the toe.
- Loake Capital: I wear 8.5F now. It's okay, but a little short/tight in the toes. If I were to order again, I'd probably go with 9, although there's a chance that'd be too big.

It seems like people say 962 runs a little long and wide, so I was considering going 8.5.

Thoughts?

mykoh

Reaction score
I'm a US 7D in AE 65, UK 6 in Carmina Rain, and a UK 6 in the 962 fits me really well. Slightly wider than the Rain but length wise pretty similar IMO. I have the brown Austerity Brogue as well and i think it's a very sleek and unassuming pair.

The Heat

Reaction score
I'm a US 7D in AE 65, UK 6 in Carmina Rain, and a UK 6 in the 962 fits me really well. Slightly wider than the Rain but length wise pretty similar IMO. I have the brown Austerity Brogue as well and i think it's a very sleek and unassuming pair.

That's very helpful, thanks.

I hadn't considered 9 before, now I might. A shoe that fits like rain but a little wider sounds just about right.

Anyone else have other thoughts?

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to report a recent purchase of Yanko. These boots are made exclusively for a local shop in Vancouver, BC (Miloh Shop). Having owned and handled a pair, Meermin country boots, I'd say Yanko is a different level above Meermin in terms of leather quality and finishing. Finishing is impeccable and I tried to find flaws but they have none. One thing they could do better is having waxed laces. Otherwise, they're almost if not at Carmina level for less price.

The Goodyear welt is incredibly done and can almost disguise as a Blake stitch. Can't wait for winter to come again.

IMG_3280.JPG

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but anyone has experience with Skolyx OTC wool socks?

josef1

Reaction score
Hello!

First time looking to buy a pair of Yanko and I'm very excited! These look too gorgeous.
cap-toe-balmoral-oxford-brown-mix.jpg

My apologies for a probably repeated sizing question tho. These balmorals are in the 915 last and I wear:
Loake Capital 7UK
Meermin RUI 7UK
Meermin double monk Hiro 7.5UK - this needed a tongue padding due to heel slip

Thank you!

jamie411

Reaction score
I’d suggest 7UK but 915 can be a tad roomy (although so can RUI from what I understand). It’s probably worth reaching out to the vender you intend to buy from for their advice as well.

Numerikalis

Reaction score
I mirror Jamie411's advise above. I wear the same size in Loake's Capital and Yanko's 915. 915 is slightly roomier at the forefoot area.

Hello!

First time looking to buy a pair of Yanko and I'm very excited! These look too gorgeous.
View attachment 1008637

My apologies for a probably repeated sizing question tho. These balmorals are in the 915 last and I wear:
Loake Capital 7UK
Meermin RUI 7UK
Meermin double monk Hiro 7.5UK - this needed a tongue padding due to heel slip

Thank you!

Emil S

Reaction score
I mirror Jamie411's advise above. I wear the same size in Loake's Capital and Yanko's 915. 915 is slightly roomier at the forefoot area.

I think you received great advice from Numerikalis and Jamie411. UK7 would probably be best based on your other references.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads