• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope the mods won't bust me for posting this old interview with José Albaladejo Pujadas, but it sheds a bit of light on this Yanko/Carmina question:

http://www.keikari.com/english/interview-with-jose-albaladejo-pujadas/

'...I have been working in shoes for 57 years, as designer, patternmaker and businessman since the 60′s, when I began a small family business and soon it was a big shoe company, Yanko. It was a very known company in Spain and abroad. The company was sold and there is nothing left of the ancient company nowadays.'

Last edited:

asturiano

Reaction score
In 1997 Albaladejo sold Yanko to a Catalan family called Camps for the symbolic price of 1 peseta (anyone remember pesetas) The company was bankrupt at that time and had 190 employees. In 2005 Yanko was again in bad shape and had to declare in what Americans called chapter 11.

The situation was a bit more complex than before as the company had purchased another company called Pielsa (manufacturers of boat shoes) the collateral for the money loaned by the banks to purchase Pielsa was the Yanko brand name.

Afterthat I lost track but it is possible that Yanko is now in hands of totally different company.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great pics, zielschuss. You da man!

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tomboys

Reaction score

I stopped by CSC and picked up the black brogued captoe. It's a steal for $275. Here are some pics of the Yanko stamped in a 9.5 next to a Camina captoe in UK8.5 (model 10085 on the Simpson last from Farfetch; I'm actually going to put this one up on the marketplace tomorrow as the Simpson last doesn't for my foot!):
Thanks for the great comparison pics. I was seriously considering Carmina because I love the shape of the Rain last. However, I wanted a sole that was slightly thicker. Understandably, I could've gone the MTO route, but I didn't feel like spending another 30 - 40% for it.
Nope.....honestly, I can't answer for what the buyers in Japan or EU are requesting - the factory needs to ship shoes - but what I am doing here is, what I consider, top shelf, RTW goods: https://www.facebook.com/ron.rider1/posts/4914765039403?notif_t=like My only concern is the USA, and putting a nice product on the market.
Thanks Ron. It's always great to have a trusted source provide feedback. With that, I just pulled the trigger. My pair should be here sometime next week.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the great comparison pics. I was seriously considering Carmina because I love the shape of the Rain last. However, I wanted a sole that was slightly thicker. Understandably, I could've gone the MTO route, but I didn't feel like spending another 30 - 40% for it.
Thanks Ron. It's always great to have a trusted source provide feedback. With that, I just pulled the trigger. My pair should be here sometime next week.

Surely - and please feel free to DM me any feedback -

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool that this thread popped up. I saw these in barca a year ago and didn't know the company. Was with friends and in a hurry so I only had time to quickly take two shots through the window of this to me unknown brand that seemed to make decent shoes. Just found the pics in my own archive.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shoes in the Barcelona store look much better than anything I've ever seen by this company. Maybe they have recently stepped up their game?

Harvitz81

Reaction score
Anyone get a shipping notice from CSC?

I ordered on Saturday and no shipping notice and no responses to email. Was hoping they would get here this week, but not looking like it...

Tomboys

Reaction score
Nope. Didn't get a shipping notice either (ordered on Sunday). Called them today and they gave me the UPS tracking number, so it's all good. I opted for the 3-day shipping thinking that they would be here by Friday because I wanted to take them to have the soles Topy'd on Saturday. Unfortunately, they won't be here until Monday which was bad planning on my behalf. My shoes are coming from NY, going to California and (on Monday), I'll be in Chicago. :facepalm:

Harvitz81

Reaction score
Ahh - same here (NY to Cali). Might call them up tomorrow just to get tracking.

Hope they sent them Fedex or UPS as I've had serious issues with USPS losing a couple packages of mine this past week (thankfully both were under $20, but still makes me nervous with them now still).

02///M3

Reaction score
So I went to CSC the other day and bought the same pair that zielschuss bought. Admittedly I'm not the very knowledgeable when it comes to shoes, but I did chat about Yanko for a few minutes with one of the founders. FWIW, he says they use the same exact calf leather as Carmina and that their construction is so similar that the companies used to accuse each other of stealing their machines to make the shoes.

I don't personally own any Carminas, but I've seen them in person several times at Epaulet and to the untrained eye, these seem very similar quality-wise. Will let you guys know how they turn out as I get to wearing them.

minervau

Reaction score
Have ordered that same pair from the online sale, and I'm optimistic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads