1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yankees Suck!!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Ambulance Chaser, May 4, 2005.

1. christian

christian Senior member

Dude, this topic is going to start a flame war.

Sure, the Yankees are struggling right now. But, they had problems getting out of the gate last year and they still won their division. If I were a Red Sox fan, I wouldn't talk smack. Their team is also doing poorly despite their win last year. Strange that Red Sox nation always complains about how much we spend, as if their team didn't outspend other teams in the game as well. If you look at the big picture, the Yankees still dominate the Red Sox. As soon as this baseball season is over, it'll be back to the old ways where Yankee fans had fun with the Red Sox fans.

2. christian

christian Senior member

I also don't understand what the original article tries to prove. The Yankees made the better moves, but everything went right for the Red Sox last year. What looked great on paper, didn't turn out as well as we hoped.

I'd also point out that Shef was a runner-up for the MVP award last season so I don't know why they criticize signing him.

And, sure, Brownie is old. But, he was still pitching lighst out for the Dodgers when we got him. And, we got rid of Weaver in that deal, who's as fragile emotionally as he looks. He couldn't handle the pressure of NYC. If its bad to get older pitchers, then I guess the RedSOx shouldn't have signed Schilling then.

I recognize the Yankees are mortaging our future by trading away all our prospects. But, I'd also argue that prospects are overrated. You don't if they'll ever deliver on all their promise when they actually make it to the big leagues. The only reason they're valuable is because they're cheap. But, with our money, that's really a moot point.

You play to win the game. And, if the Yankees don't win the World Series, then its all pointless. These things are cyclical, and there's only a narrow window of oppurtunity left for us to win with our golden generation of players like Jeter, Posada, Riveria, etc... Even if we didn't sacrifice future flexibility, there's no guarantee we'd have a core group of players that would be able to win the WS. Better to squeeze in that last championship rather than settle for years of good, almost great, teams that won't be able to contend for the WS.

3. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

See as a Red Sox fan, we care more about the Orioles at this point. We're looking to win our division - we can't waste our time worrying about last place teams. Sh*t, the Devil Rays scare us more than the Yankees.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

just quoting myself to see if anyone has thoughts on what i said. i love soccer with a passion, but i'll aslo be the first to admit that the rules are not perfect.

5. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I'll respond. Baseball is a game of percentages. I actually find it very impressive that they have been able to find a balance with all the variables involved. To wit, it is harder to throw a strike than a ball. Therefore, the pitcher is allowed three balls before he walks a batter but only two strikes before he gets a strike out. It's not symmetrical, but it is balanced: the original proposition (throwing strikes versus throwing balls) is unfair; the 4/3 ratio balances it out. It's the same with the distances in the outfield - it's easier to hit a ball hard to straightaway center than it is down the line. Therefore the fence is farther away in center field. As for your multiple of 3 idea, I'm not sure how making 287 feet 288 feet is any less arbitrary. It would be kind of cool though, like the Getty Center (any idea what I'm talking about?)

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Re the outfield fences, you have to consider that in the past they had to conform to the space available (think Wrigley and Fenway). I think it's fantastic that there's variety to the parks.

In general though, I think the multiples of 3 are essentially coincidence. They were arrived at through evolution in the rules.

7. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I agree. Imagine never getting the chance to hear:

"Dude, he hammid it. It cleah'd the monstah."

8. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

(chorse123 @ May 12 2005,10:13) I think it's fantastic that there's variety to the parks.
    I agree. Â Imagine never getting the chance to hear: "Dude, he hammid it. Â It cleah'd the monstah."
    You must spend some time at the Riviera to get your fix?

9. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Yup. There are a couple other bars that play Sox games too, I hit those up frequently.

10. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i disagree. it may be hard to throw a strike. but hey, sports are hard. if you want balance, how about the old saying that 'good pitching beats good hitting.' 3 and 3 would even things out a little in the batter's favor, without them having to resort to steroids.

i understand your comments on the outfield and the historical reasons for the outfield distances. i know what you mean about the getty center, and that's exactly what i'm talking about. there is a beauty in symmetry and in the case of baseball it is there quite naturally. it's ashame that it has to be ruined by a couple of little things.

i think the fact that this symmetry is there naturally and is not contrived is all the more reason to preserve it. once they decided on 90 ft from home to first, it was natural that it would be 90 ft from first to second. that's why it should be 3 balls for a walk.