• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YANG LI

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thread needs pics of Yang Li things

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely one of the best new designers working. loves helmut and interned for raf. those influences are really clear in his work.

---------------
Last spring, the 25-year-old London-based designer Yang Li debuted his first runway collection, a line of reimagined street-wear staples with a gothic influence. For someone so young, Li has accomplished quite a lot: after dropping out of Central Saint Martins, he interned for Raf Simons, and by the tender age of 23 had already caught the eye of Michèle Montagne, the in-demand French publicist and stylist who helped shape the careers of Ann Demeulemeester and Haider Ackermann. Li’s clothes are made in Italy, and finished with absolute precision — except when they aren’t. He loves an element of spontaneity, like slashing the two front pockets of a slim-cut classic bouclé jacket. “Art is not all clean lines, but has a human touch,” he said. “Same with fashion.”

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/...e-yang-lis-deliberately-imperfect-style/?_r=0

---------------
Yang Li counts Helmut Lang as a personal hero and spent three seasons in Antwerp interning for Raf Simons, so neither the monastically severe lines of his debut collection nor a penchant for quoting Jenny Holzer should come as a surprise.

The 22-year-old Central Saint Martins grad is based in London but decided instead to show his namesake collection in a tiny third arrondissement space in Paris. “I just don’t feel connected to London,” he tells Style.com. “Not in a bad way; I mean, I’ve learned everything there.” To be fair, he’s not exactly forsaking home. Li comes to London via Beijing, where he was born, and Perth, Australia, where he grew up—a life itinerary that makes for a genteel and melodic accent.

His laser-focused range recasts masculine and utilitarian standards with sharp lines, all in very traditional, double-faced wool produced in one of the few Italian factories in the world that works with the fabric. His familiar shapes—what he calls “youth codes”—like hoodies, T-shirts, flight jackets, and wide-legged pants, go back to the Holzer truism he cites: “Use what’s dominant in a culture to change it.”

http://www.style.com/stylefile/2011/10/one-to-watch-yang-li/

---------------
Collections are all on his site:
http://www.yangli.eu/assets/pdf/YANG_LI_AW13.pdf
http://www.yangli.eu/assets/pdf/YANG_LI_SS13.pdf
http://www.yangli.eu/assets/pdf/YANG_LI_AW12.pdf
http://www.yangli.eu/assets/pdf/YANG_LI_SS12.pdf

---------------

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fall/Winter 2013-14

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Men's and women's collections shown together Helmut-style

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atelier nyc picked up Yang Li for fall, by the way. They have a few pieces on their site, including the green perfecto. Curious to see it up close. Love his footwear too.

Plonius

Reaction score
He loves an element of spontaneity, like slashing the two front pockets of a slim-cut classic bouclé jacket. “Art is not all clean lines, but has a human touch,” he said. “Same with fashion"
11.gif

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
I used to have a pair of his "slim" pants. While they were obviously quite nice, I think that because I've been wearing slim/skinny everything for so long, I just couldn't hang with the looser vibe of even his slim cut pants. That seems odd, though, given that some of the dudes in the pictures sipang posted above are wearing pants that appear to be quite slim and tapered. I know, this is all very interesting.

LL

I would love to get a closer look at this coat, though, as I've been looking for something like it for a long time.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to have a pair of his "slim" pants. While they were obviously quite nice, I think that because I've been wearing slim/skinny everything for so long, I just couldn't hang with the looser vibe of even his slim cut pants. That seems odd, though, given that some of the dudes in the pictures sipang posted above are wearing pants that appear to be quite slim and tapered. I know, this is all very interesting.

That's actually one of the thing I like the most, the looser cut of his trousers, the voluminous outerwear and the A shaped silhouettes, brings back old Raf memories. Can't deal with slim stuff anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads