• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yakuza

Gihad

Reaction score
I'm interested in finding out more about Japan's Yakuza fashion, ranging from classic slick back hair, suits and sunglasses to more modern style. Most of what I've learned I've gotten from different websites and Japanese cinema from the likes of Takashi Miike.

untitled.bmp

B0002Z7RNG-147.jpg

twistoffat

Reaction score
Its not a fashion as much of a culture thing. Read Tokyo Underworld for a start. Cinema will tell you very little. You need to read books

Gihad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twistoffat
You need to read books

Yes, although all the books I've gathered have been more on history and influence on culture/politics. I would really like some good reads on it.

AE7

Reaction score
two things: takeshi kitano films and a medical mask

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Watch the movies Yakuza Papers. It follows the rise of the Yakuza immediately following the bombing in Hiroshima through the 80s. It's a great series of films that is often compared to the Godfather movies. The biggest difference is the Yakuza Papers follows several gangs through a longer span of Yakuza history. From what I've read it is a very realistic portrayal. You definitely see the changes in style. Will definitely give you some historical context...plus its a damned entertaining bunch of films.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know several Yakuza, and drink regularly with a few others, and mostly the movie **** is all just movie ****. The vast majority dress terribly, with awful ill-fitting suits, sport jerseys, and sweatsuits... Yeah, they often wear sunglasses, but they don't match what else they're wearing.

They are also, except for a few "upper" level guys, incredibly annoying twerps who are less "mob guys" than just petty racketeers. The ones I know are mostly retired and so kinda fun, but the young ones are sort of assholes with no class.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

They are also, except for a few "upper" level guys, incredibly annoying twerps who are less "mob guys" than just petty racketeers. The ones I know are mostly retired and so kinda fun, but the young ones are sort of assholes with no class.

damn noobs.

ataru

Reaction score
When my brother came to visit while I was studying in Kyoto, we went out for dinner at a neighborhood okonomiyaki place that was a hangout for some local yakuza. These guys actually treated my brother and I to the meal and beers, and one of them took off his shirt so my brother could take a picture of his tattoos. The funniest thing was how they kept telling me to tell my brother (who doesn't speak Japanese) not to be afraid (he wasn't), because they were good guys, and then at the end this guy told me I could contact him through the local butcher if I got in trouble and needed "assistance".

Style-wise the ones I met weren't too impressive- long sleeve t-shirts, sunglasses and what appeared to be women's sandals.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru
When my brother came to visit while I was studying in Kyoto, we went out for dinner at a neighborhood okonomiyaki place that was a hangout for some local yakuza. These guys actually treated my brother and I to the meal and beers, and one of them took off his shirt so my brother could take a picture of his tattoos. The funniest thing was how they kept telling me to tell my brother (who doesn't speak Japanese) not to be afraid (he wasn't), because they were good guys, and then at the end this guy told me I could contact him through the local butcher if I got in trouble and needed "assistance".

Style-wise the ones I met weren't too impressive- long sleeve t-shirts, sunglasses and what appeared to be women's sandals.

Attachment 60496

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru

Same EXACT thing here with me. I then met Mr. Koike (who kept saying "SMALL LAKE" ((that's what KOike means in japanese))) after that for beers from time to time.

Plastic/rubber Hello Kitty sandals, to be exact.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
FWIW, where I live they are easily identified by their super tacky, super ugly clothing. Think shiny silver suits that fit too big. I would love to learn more about yakuza style, too, but not as something to emulate.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interestingly, many of the actors in Japanese gay Appreciation are low-level yakuza punks. Not because they're gay, but just because (1) they've got no scruples when money is involved (2) don't make much as yakuza punks pulling petty street crime and operating vendor booths at festivals and (3) probably **** and get fucked by their "sempai" fairly regularly, so why not get paid for it?

Again, these guys are also often married with numerous girlfriends, so they'd probably stab you in the face if you told them sucking another dude off was kinda ****. Just an interesting cultural tidbit for you fellas this morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics