YADDQ : Yet Another Dry Denim Question

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Luc-Emmanuel, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

There is a consensus about dry denim :

- wearing effects are much more visible if you do NOT wash your dry denim jeans for X months.

- dry denim shrinks.

Now that we agree on the previous two points, buying a dry denim pair of jeans can be a nightmare :

you bought a dry denim at a regular size (i.e : you wear a 30" and bought a 30" which fits just right) :
    you've been wearing for 6 months straight your favourite dry denim jeans, and you eventually throw it into the washing machine.
    You can't put it on because it's shrunk too much at the waist.

you bought an oversized dry denim, and you looked goofy for 6 months as if you took a load in your saggy butt (the odour didn't help...), or with obscenely long turnups at the ankles (it could look cool, but four inches just looks awful).
    you eventually throw the thing into the washing machine. When you put it on, it fits you better, but your lovely knee wear effects are now at your thighs ...

What's the catch ? How to do it "right" ?

For instance, is it possible to wash a dry denim pair of jeans just once, just before you try them on for the first time to have them shrink to the right size ? Or will this blow the whole natural fading process ?

cheers
    Luc

2. ringring

ringring Senior member

- wearing effects are much more visible if you do NOT wash your dry denim jeans for X months. Not necessarily. Depends on the amount of abrasion you subject your jeans to. You can get great results from one-wash jeans, and also great results from more frequent washing. Look around the web and you'll see plenty of photos to support this. There's a few listed on this link. Look at the Eternals and the Sugar Canes. Both worn from One-Wash state, not raw, and washed many times. dry denim shrinks. Depends. Sanforized denim doesn't really shrink, dry or washed. 1-3% is negligible (you'd probably need that tolarance margin just from the way you measured a pair of jeans). Here's a good guide: Sanforized denim - just wear it and wash when you are ready. Non-sanforized denim - wash it once before wear. Either soak it in a warm bath for around 40 minutes or turn inside out and wash in a washing machine on a warm cycle. That will do most of the shrinking. It will take another 2-4 washes to shrink them fully. Expect 8-10% shrinkage. Don't feel that washing your denim will ruin your chances to get good wear effects. It's a myth.

3. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

All quotes originally posted by Luc-Emmanuel:
    As ring-ring said above, it depends on the treatment. If you wear your jeans for 6 months, it WILL stretch, but after a wash it should get back to your normal purchase size (if they are sanforized).
    If the jeans are untreated, I usually do the "Levis" method of putting on the jeans and getting into a warm bath for about 20 mins, then letting the jeans dry on me. That usually makes the jeans "wearable", so you don't look like you had an accident. [​IMG]

4. Luc-Emmanuel

thanks for the educated replies. It looks indeed like there are multiple ways to do it.
    I was reading the APC measurements for a size 29 (read 16.25" waist) which is huge . This is maybe to compensate for shrinkage ?

Luc

5. Geowu

Geowu Senior member

Luc, I think it is far more than to compensate shrinkage since the jeans are sanforized and, as ringring just stated above, almost won't shrink at all. They're just big.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

True, but I've found that tumble drying them is a different matter altogether...

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Actually, it's no myth. If you don't have at least 4 bacteria colonies growing in the inner thighs of your jeans, you've washed them too much. Never, *ever* let water touch them, lest your dry jeans be destroyed and your $200 investment go to waste. [​IMG]

8. stache

stache Senior member

Which begs the question, why spend $200 on a washable garment that does not feature preshrunk fabric?

9. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

A lot of the non-sanforized jeans are trying to be accurate reproductions of jeans that were sold in the 50s and earlier. Nobody sanforized back then, though you could have it done at some dry cleaners.

To this day, whenever my father gets ready to walk through the rain, he'll ask whoever is with him: "Are you sanforized?"

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

The companies that produced the unsanforized jeans do so because the target consumer wants them as such. Also to create a better replica of the early production Levis they are trying to mimic.

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Well, bear with me as I'm trying to break in a bootcut Ola dry. Problem is I can only wear my jeans on the we. Very nice cut btw, especially for 99 euros paid by my company's gift certificates... [​IMG] I'll keep you updated. .luc

12. WeetardKevin

WeetardKevin New Member

Hmmmmmm is there an appropriate way to crotchstitching?

13. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    just wear them until you feel like washing them. it's that simple.

trying to discuss this topic on the web makes me want to [​IMG]

14. berlin report

berlin report Senior member

This thread was from 2005. Who dug this up from the bowels of the dead threads? So, old threads never die, they just get honeycombs?

15. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

seems like this is the first thread that the aptly named weetard kevin found appropriate in the last 4 yrs to ask a question about stitching