• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Y William Yu

Lowndes

Reaction score
Mentioned this at the bottom of a thread on Hong Kong tailors yesterday but moved my question here. It appears that Y William Yu Inc., in NYC is the same Y William Yu as in Hong Kong who gets fairly good reviews and many say is on par with WW Chan. Curious though as to why we don't hear much about him on the forum? Have people had a bad experience in the NYC shop?

It just seems that for about the price of Chan (I believe Y William Yu starts at around 1300 in NYC) you could get your suit in a shorter amount of time and have multiple fittings at your convenience.

I sent an email to the people in the Y William Yu store to get more details about their price, affiliation with Y William Yu in Hong Kong, their process, etc. but am interested to see if anybody has had experience with them based out of their NYC location.

Thanks in advance.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard they demand full payment upfront.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WW Chan requires payment upfront . I've always paid upfront as they have requested it.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least some forumites with experience with both tailors rate Yu below Chan. Since I have no experience with Yu, I can't comment on this.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
WW Chan requires payment upfront . I've always paid upfront as they have requested it.
I am giving Chan a try on one of their upcoming visits and asked about this. They told me I can pay upfront or when I receive the finished goods. It's the customers choice.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
At least some forumites with experience with both tailors rate Yu below Chan. Since I have no experience with Yu, I can't comment on this.

Good to know, I am certainly giving Chan a try on one of their upcoming visits but the thought of a tailor in the same price and quality as Chan but a little more convenient time wise was intriguing. If I hear enough good things about Yu I will give them a try also and then report back with my comparison.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
I am giving Chan a try on one of their upcoming visits and asked about this. They told me I can pay upfront or when I receive the finished goods. It's the customers choice.

Thanks. Thats good to know.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
I thought Chan required payment up front for their US visits. This is news to me.

Like I said I just asked in an email a couple months back and was told you have the choice to pay later. I'm going to send them another email and ask again. It's possible that I got somebody who didn't know the policy regarding their U.S. visits. I'll report back with what I am told.

However, I don't actually mind paying up front for somebody with a reputation like Chan. You know they are going to turn out a good product and stand behind it. I just haven't heard enough things about Y William Yu's NYC operation to feel comfortable paying for the whole suit up front. That is why I said it was a deal killer above. Maybe if I heard more things I would feel comfortable doing so.

Lowndes

Reaction score
So I emailed Chan back and asked about paying up front. He told me that they prefer you to pay for the cloth when it has to be purchased and then payment in full when the suit is to be initiated. I'm not sure what the difference is there as it kind of sounds like you have to pay in full when the suit is ordered.

I apologize for any confusion I caused. As I mentioned I was told differently when I asked via email a couple of months back.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
So I emailed Chan back and asked about paying up front. He told me that they prefer you to pay for the cloth when it has to be purchased and then payment in full when the suit is to be initiated. I'm not sure what the difference is there as it kind of sounds like you have to pay in full when the suit is ordered.

I apologize for any confusion I caused. As I mentioned I was told differently when I asked via email a couple of months back.

Thanks for clarification. I thought they required payment upfront.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads