1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Y-3

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by @riss, Sep 28, 2004.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I only mentioned their address because you are in NYC and it is easy for you to check them out. And I understood the point regarding your argument about contest of Dior's trends; my point was that most items that are considered "˜trends' are often produced by some other company somewhere as a standard production item, such as the skinny ties.

Jon.

2. imageWIS

(imageWIS @ 29 Sep. 2004, 1:46) Might be worth a stroll to their store on 57th in Manhattan to check them out, no?
    After that you could check out the Dior Homme store, which is only a few doors down. Oh, and then visit me at work around the block.
    Not that I can currently visit (being back in hurricane-ridden Florida and all) but where do you work? Jon.

3. @riss

@riss Senior Member

out of curiousity, brian sd, was wondering where you get your jil sander and dior in diego?? i was out there a summer ago with one of my boys who lives in la mesa and he was saying he can't find any of the clothes he's looking for in SD.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I'm sure a 90 minute drive north to LA will get you more or less anything you want in the world of fashion.

5. @riss

@riss Senior Member

not in my experience, i was underwhelmed with fred segal and the barney's isn't nearly as extensive as NY. besides, are san diegans really driving all the way to LA for their clothes???

6. drizzt3117

There are quite a few places to go in LA to shop besides the dept stores. Dior has a selection of Homme items at their Rodeo Dr. store, between South Coast Plaza, the Beverly Center, and Rodeo Drive, I imagine you could find anything you wanted.

There isn't a whole lot of shopping in my experience, I've been to Fashion Valley and places downtown quite often and theres not much there. In my opinion there is as much availability here in OC than there is in LA, though, and we are only 45 minutes north of SD.

7. drizzt3117

One quick question:

For those of you who have been to both somewhat recently. How would you compare Louis Boston to Wilkes Bashford?

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Wilkes is a *lot* smaller, for one thing. Louis is just a much bigger store. It is also considerably more "directional", with a whole floor (the third) dedicated to designer and streetwear. Wilkes used to have some of this, but has cut back considerably, choosing to focus nearly exclusively on tailored clothing. I would say that the offerings in that department are comparable, though the selection at Louis is larger, if only because the store is much larger.

In terms of service, you can't beat WB, though.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

I echo LA Guy's assessment on the differences between Wilkes and Louis Boston with a few additions. I think the shoe department at Wilkes is stronger aside from the lack of Vass included in their featured brands. I'm also somewhat biased since LB didnt stock anything smaller than an 8-8.5 in their U-lasted Vass shoes.

Wilkes sticks to the traditional Italians in their suitings--Kiton and Brioni if I remember correctly, while LB stocks Gianluca Isaia Napoli--a personal favorite. Dress shirts is a push between the two stores.

I give a resounding nod towards LB in their stock of contemporary casual wear and women's clothing. I wasn't overly impressed with the stuff at Wilkes.

The cafe at LB is expensive but good.

10. LA Guy

@riss,

NYCers just don't get L.A. L.A. is *really* an insiders town. Forget about the trendy "no sign" clubs in NYC. In NYC, you can just walk in the neighbourhood and the odds are, you'll hit the hotspots. In LA, you've got to drive 20 minutes just to be in that neighbourhood.

Fred Segal is okay, and there is a nice annual sale, but there are plenty of other places that are close, but far enough away that you have to know to go to them. For designer stuff, Maxfield, just a little farther on Melrose, is way more cutting edge than Jeffrey. For designer as well as (usually Italian) streetwear, check out Traffic and Politix in the Beverly Center. Check out North Robertson for Lisa Kline Men, Scott Hill and Kitson for a real West Coast vibe, and Maxfiled Bleu for sales. On Third Street (not the promenade) there is the Denim Doctors, a bunch of cool used desgner places. There are also a bunch of places on Beverly, and of course, American Rag is always reliable. Scott and Co and a bunch of other high end stores can be found in the South Coast plaza. There are plenty of places in L.A. to get stuff.

11. @riss

@riss Senior Member

its true that there are way more places than i first mentioned, now that you jogged my memory, i was pretty impressed with maxfield bleu and almost got a really cool margiela sports jacket there. i don't know if you read the thread that led to my post, but i was initially talking about san diego, not LA. however, i don't know anyone who would say LA gets on the level of NYC, London, Paris, or Milan for fashion or just culture in general.

12. drizzt3117

I would disagree with that. LA and the West Coast in general have contributed heavily to "American" Fashion and culture in general.

In terms of actual culture and not fashion, I'm not sure where Milan would fit into the cities you've described. Certainly LA has contributed more to the American lifestyle than Milan has to Italy.

As a city, LA isn't as interesting as others you've mentioned, but certainly its impact on American culture can't be downplayed.

13. LA Guy

That may be true, but L.A. is the rising star. Just check out how many of of the hottest new (or new to the rest of the world) companies, from Ever (by Creat China Wall) to Grey Ant (for women), to True Religion to Capital Tailors, are HQed in LA, and how many NYC companies (premium denim pioneers Paper Denim and Earnest Sewn among them) are moving their manufacturing bases to L.A. Pretty much every new casualwear company in the States worth mentioning is from L.A.

My prognosis is that L.A. will come into its own in the near future, and the new "cool" capital will move northwards into Montreal. I love NYC, but when even Brooklyn is played out, where else is there to go?

14. drizzt3117

Another thing to consider is demographics.

LA and Southern California are growing at an extremely rapid pace while NYC is experiencing a population decline. Already, more people live in Southern California than the NYC area and that disparity will only grow.

15. imageWIS

Sounds a lot like South Florida (eh, the parts that are not for tourists; not South Beach, ewwww).

Jon.