• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xmas shopping for a lady friend

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input, fellas. Appreciated. I haven't totally settled, yet. I'm just not good at spending lump sums of cash on one thing, and that's making it difficult - I can't spend a lot of cash for myself on one item, either.
So far, she's got a wool skirt from J Crew, a Skagen watch, a cashmere blend sweater she can wear to work, and a silk scarf/waist tie thing. No handbag, no non-functional jewelry. She may get something else, we'll see.
Brian SD, I happen to agree with you. Part of me, when I opened the iPod, said what the hell are you thinking? Of course, the rest of me was already cataloguing, organizing, then reorganizing my music, and planning playslists for any possible occasion. Chuck Klosterman said the iPod is the one piece of technology that he owns that has no negative effect on his life at all.
We guys have to help each other out on this by curbing the one-upmanship. A girl in my gf's department got a genuine LV bag for xmas. That's gotta be $500. It's just "giving above your means"; he's a waiter, she's in retail. It's goddamn annoying.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, my wifes best friend got a 4K ring for her 20th, what do you think that did to me on mine this year? Wait til you get married, it gets so much better, yeah right.

sam

Reaction score
shoreman: This one-upmanship is insecurity on a man's part. I think many guys think they have to buy her affections.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoreman: This one-upmanship is insecurity on a man's part. I think many guys think they have to buy her affections.
Are you married?
If so, then you must be one lucky guy, it is not one-upmanship, but more a game of shut'em upmanship....sometimes it is easier to give more and get less heartache, than to give less, and get less in return.

artdeco73

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input, fellas. Appreciated. I haven't totally settled, yet. I'm just not good at spending lump sums of cash on one thing, and that's making it difficult - I can't spend a lot of cash for myself on one item, either.
So far, she's got a wool skirt from J Crew, a Skagen watch, a cashmere blend sweater she can wear to work, and a silk scarf/waist tie thing. No handbag, no non-functional jewelry. She may get something else, we'll see.
Brian SD, I happen to agree with you. Part of me, when I opened the iPod, said what the hell are you thinking? Of course, the rest of me was already cataloguing, organizing, then reorganizing my music, and planning playslists for any possible occasion. Chuck Klosterman said the iPod is the one piece of technology that he owns that has no negative effect on his life at all.
We guys have to help each other out on this by curbing the one-upmanship. A girl in my gf's department got a genuine LV bag for xmas. That's gotta be $500. It's just "giving above your means"; he's a waiter, she's in retail. It's goddamn annoying.
shoreman,

Having had a chance to think about it a bit...

As many have pointed out, a present need not be expensive or seem expensive, as long as it is memorable. Do you and your S.O. travel? How about a weekend away? You might need to stretch the $200 budget a bit, but hopefully not a whole lot. A night at a quaint bed and breakfast and a nice dinner? There are some nice places out in Western VA, in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, Front Royal area, etc. About a 3-hour drive from Baltimore...

Regards,
Tony

whitsang

Reaction score
I would suggest you buy her something that she can't buy herself at Nordstrom (i.e. don't shop at the store where she works or buy anything Nordstrom sells). I'm sure there are plenty of things she'd like from Nordstrom, but put some thought into it - figure out something she won't expect and surprise her.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads