• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xmas party suit help

fresh363

Reaction score
I have a work christmas party coming up and I'd like to be looking fresh for a change.

I have a suit and a tie which I'm considering wearing but I'd like some help on a few questions. The suit will not be changed but the tie is up for swap.

Firstly this is the suit and tie so far:

Is the tie colour a good idea? I would also like to acquire a pocket square, any recommendations? Which tie/pocket combos would you recommend?

I understand that the shirt is not ideal as it isn't visible at the cuff so I will be purchasing a new white shirt to fit better with the suit. Any recommendations for a work/dinner shirt (in white)?

My last question is this: Can socks match the tie/pocket square for example or should it be the same colour as the trousers? I will be wearing smart black shoes and belt if this contributes at all.

I'm not overflowing in cash so could any recommendations remain within reason.

Thanks in advance.

bradp

Reaction score
Your infrastructure is fine. Make sure you button your top button on the shirt and cinch the tie all the way up. It's also too short as tied. Pull your trousers up a bit too. Many say match socks to trousers but I never cared so much for that convention and often wear louder colors.

And a white pocket square is rarely a bad move. Will smarten things up.

fresh363

Reaction score
Sorry I should have mentioned that I was being lazy, hence the unbuttoned collar and loose tie. On the night I will have everything looking as smart as possible!

Thanks for your swift response though.

bradp

Reaction score
np, but in the future post question like this in the ask a question/get an answer thread rather than starting a new thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads