• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xibao Shoemaker - Oct. Tenth

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With @Notch and @WilYa help, Oct. Tenth exploded onto the scene of MTO handwelted shoes on SF.

Oct. Tenth's factory is based Fengxian District of Shanghai, run by Jiahao Chu and Yao Zhang. Xibao is Ms Zhang's online username, she does all the wechat inquires and owns the factory and Taobao store TGC. Oct Tenth is name after Yao Zhang's birthday. Wechat is the be-all and end-all platform for all communications in China, a much more powerful version of Whatsapp.

For non Chinese speakers/readers that don't have Alipay, Tom has an awesome MTO page on his Sons of Henrey site.

For my order, I reached out to Xibao on wechat, provided information on my feet, and picked an existing pattern on a chiselled last. Her recommendation of sizing is different to what I thought I should get, I listened to her advice and worked out in the end. She mentioned that general speaking, westerners have a slightly more narrow and low volume feet compare to Chinese feet. It took around 30 days from placing of the order to the shipment of the shoes.

I counted around 14 SPI for upper sewing, around 9-10 SPI for the welt. From the top down view, my pinky toe is pushing out on the sides of the upper slightly; I wore them straight away for a whole day, no discomfrot on big toe knuckles and pink toes, (those two areas are normally my pain points from different makers).

My feet info PDF for new makers
Feet PS.JPG

Lazyman on Horween Hatchgrain, Dainite sole.

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wurger - The shoes came out awesome and glad to know they fit you well. Is this the Shang last ? What size did you take In Oct Tenth shoes compared to your Edward Green or G&G shoes?

It actually wan't on one of the 4 lasts, but Yao didn't want to disclose which last she used due to there are too many copies in China, which I founnd strange when I asked her.

I took size 39, UK 6.5E for EG and G&G.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It actually wan't on one of the 4 lasts, but Yao didn't want to disclose which last she used due to there are too many copies in China, which I founnd strange when I asked her.

Wurger thank you for creatingthis thread. Can you offer sizing guidance across different makers and lasts? You kind of volunteered for this :nest: and since I know you have a black cap toe from just about every maker on this planet, can you compare for example Oct.Tenth to AS 109, GG06 etc etc etc.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thank you , so would that be size UK 6 for Oct Tenth compared to UK 6.5 in EG and G&G ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at this point we almost just should have a Chinese shoe thread (like the Japanese one), the other well known one is Yim (though looks like his IG address changed?)

edit: saw you post sizing, thanks!

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you , so that would be size UK 6 for Oct Tenth compared to UK 6.5 in EG and G&G ?

We only discussed in Euro sizing, which is what Chinese shoes are normally on, but @Notch could help with Oct. Tenth size conversion to UK?

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We only discussed in Euro sizing, which is what Chinese shoes are normally on, but @Notch could help with Oct. Tenth size conversion to UK?
Thank you, was curious to know your experience with sizing but seems like different lasts have different sizing advise. As per Tom’s recommendation, I went with the same size as G&G/EG Size on the Shang Last i.e. 8.5 E UK for me.

bsarosi

Reaction score
Thank you, was curious to know your experience with sizing but seems like different lasts have different sizing advise. As per Tom’s recommendation, I went with the same size as G&G/EG Size on the Shang Last i.e. 8.5 E UK for me.

I, too, went with my GG size on the Shang last per Tom’s advice. UK 9E in GG is one of the best fits I’ve found so Tom advised to stick with that on Shang. I’ll probably try the Huang in the future and the recommendation is to size down a half to UK 8.5.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took 8.5 on Huang: F-fit as Tom indicate it has more room in toebox but same in heel (i.e. just wider toebox without heel slippage issue, hopefully). 8.5 is my CJ size, I take 9E UK in GG (MH71, TG73 and DG70 is too tight in E), guess we will see...

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, went with my GG size on the Shang last per Tom’s advice. UK 9E in GG is one of the best fits I’ve found so Tom advised to stick with that on Shang. I’ll probably try the Huang in the future and the recommendation is to size down a half to UK 8.5.
That’s reassuring . I just hope it’s not too narrow in toe box and fits perfect like MH71. What model did you order ?
I took 8.5 on Huang: F-fit as Tom indicate it has more room in toebox but same in heel (i.e. just wider toebox without heel slippage issue, hopefully). 8.5 is my CJ size, I take 9E UK in GG (MH71, TG73 and DG70 is too tight in E), guess we will see...
I really liked the Huang last too but maybe next time. What model did you order ?

bsarosi

Reaction score
That’s reassuring . I just hope it’s not too narrow in toe box and fits perfect like MH71. What model did you order ?

I really liked the Huang last too but maybe next time. What model did you order ?

Burgundy Hatch SpTD. May also go for the Espresso Hatch SpTD but on the Huang last in 8.5F

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads