• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xibao Shoemaker - Oct. Tenth

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went for the Hang last because of the higher volume. I have slightly wide feet. I guess that Tom recommenced 10.5 for me because of the high volume of the last being more friendly towards people with wider feet.

For reference these are my shoe sizes:

Trickers Stow Boot (4497s Last): UK - 10
Alden Indy Boot (TruBalance Last): US - 10.5
Carmina (Rain Last): UK - 10
Joe Works Shoemaker (0-Last): UK - 10.5
The Sabot’s Amblier (AM18 Last): UK - 10.5
Sagara Boots (Mark Last): EU - 45
Grant Stone Diesel Boot (Leo Last): US - 10.5E

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went for the Hang last because of the higher volume. I have slightly wide feet. I guess that Tom recommenced 10.5 for me because of the high volume of the last being more friendly towards people with wider feet.

For reference these are my shoe sizes:

Trickers Stow Boot (4497s Last): UK - 10
Alden Indy Boot (TruBalance Last): US - 10.5
Carmina (Rain Last): UK - 10
Joe Works Shoemaker (0-Last): UK - 10.5
The Sabot’s Amblier (AM18 Last): UK - 10.5
Sagara Boots (Mark Last): EU - 45
Grant Stone Diesel Boot (Leo Last): US - 10.5E

Good luck. I am eagerly awaiting to hear your results. I could not justify spending money on another unknown model.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burgundy Hatch SpTD. May also go for the Espresso Hatch SpTD but on the Huang last in 8.5F

I'm interested to see how this one turn out, really want to know the level of red in the burgundy (too red then it became a lot less versatile)

bsarosi

Reaction score
I have the burgundy hatch in a jodhpur GMTO from EB and it’s def not a red burgundy, more of a purple burgundy I’d say. Although color certainly varies from hide to hide so ymmv.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's great that Tom introduced 2 widths for his MTOs, helps with different feet. This means extra dedication for him to recommend the right size.
Different makers name the width differently. Like for G&G and EG the “E” width is regular width and “F” width is wide width. Like for Enzo Bonafe the regular width I believe is “F”.
I am still not sure how does Oct Tenth names it.
I see that Shang last has “E” as a standard width and whereas Haung last has “F” standard width. @Notch - Can you clarify that if E width for Oct tenth is the regular width and F width is wide.

Last edited:

WilYa

Reaction score
Thanks folks for starting this thread.
I take UK6 for OT, same for EG/GG/EB/AM/AS/Carmina, 5.5E for JL and 5.5F/G for SC. Shang fits similar to MH71 and less tight than Carmina Simpson on the same size.
Hope more guys can provide better reference. I suggest we all wait a bit longer for more reviews coming out.
My understanding of the two pair of OT lasts, Shang and Hai are elongated and sleeker, fits better for low-volume but long foot profiles, whereas Huang and Pu are a touch shorter but has roomier foreparts. I think most people with average foot profiles can comfortably take same sizes between lasts, the difference in fitting is less significant than between widths.
I think makers like Carmina also offer lasts with different standard width, e.g. Rain and Simpson.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I take UK6 for OT, same for EG/GG/EB/AM/AS/Carmina, 5.5E for JL and 5.5F/G for SC. Shang fits similar to MH71 and less tight than Carmina Simpson on the same size.
Hope more guys can provide better reference. I suggest we all wait a bit longer for more reviews coming out.
My understanding of the two pair of OT lasts, Shang and Hai are elongated and sleeker, fits better for low-volume but long foot profiles, whereas Huang and Pu are a touch shorter but has roomier foreparts. I think most people with average foot profiles can comfortably take same sizes between lasts, the difference in fitting is less significant than between widths.
I think makers like Carmina also offer lasts with different standard width, e.g. Rain and Simpson.

so Shang is between MH71 and Simpson in same size? Which AM last are you talking about, no experience with EB but I would have thought EG = GG = AM sizing and Carmina = CJ = JL sizing (except say Simpson and some of the tighter JL)

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thank you for the detailed write up, do you know your OT eu size?

bsarosi

Reaction score
so Shang is between MH71 and Simpson in same size? Which AM last are you talking about, no experience with EB but I would have thought EG = GG = AM sizing and Carmina = CJ = JL sizing (except say Simpson and some of the tighter JL)

This is my understanding as well having gone back and forth with Tom for the burgundy hatch SpTD. According to Tom, the Shang/Hai lasts are slightly narrower (E width) with a little less volume and fit very similarly to GG/EG E-width. Hence I was encouraged to go with my GG/EG sizing (9E) as GG/EG fit me quite well. Per Tom, Huang/Pu have a standard F-width, so a bit roomier/voluminous compared to Shang/Hai and equate to Carmina/CJ/AS in sizing. If I were to order a shoe on the Huang/Pu, Tom advised that I should size down to 8.5 due to the slightly roomier fit of the Huang/Pu lasts based on their banana curve.

WilYa

Reaction score
Shang is similar to MH71 but has slightly higher instep.
AM UK6 for Chisel 2, I have 6.5 for soft square and Hawksbill but I wear them with insoles.
I agree with your equation but frankly my Carminas are all on Simpson.

thank you for the detailed write up, do you know your OT eu size?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shang is similar to MH71 but has slightly higher instep.
AM UK6 for Chisel 2, I have 6.5 for soft square and Hawksbill but I wear them with insoles.
I agree with your equation but frankly my Carminas are all on Simpson.

Interesting, the idiosyncrasy of feet vs lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics