• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xenon Lights

oceans11

Reaction score
Although this option for most highline vehicles came out years ago, it still appears to be an option & you rarely see them on sub $25K cars.

So my question is why aren't they more standard or popular on cars today. I thought most cars by now would have them standard but as I was driving into work today I think maybe only 1% (if that) had Xenon lights.
eh.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$$$$

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More like $$$, but still, the domestics and Japanese are somewhat behind the Europeans in putting Xenons in their lower end cars.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
And pricey to replace too. They're supposed to last the life of the car, but doesn't always work out that way.

rebenga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
And pricey to replace too. They're supposed to last the life of the car, but doesn't always work out that way.

Are people still stealing these? That seems very.. 2004 or something.

oceans11

Reaction score
Okay, so it's just coming down to cost. Makes sense.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Xeon bulbs for my car range from $75 - $150

Standard bulbs for my car range from $5 - $25

With my car, I believe the entire Xenon headlight unit must be replaced, not just a bulb.

PolePosition

Reaction score
In America its kind of marketed as a luxury item. Bulbs, harnesses, and ballasts aren't that expensive really. Projector headlamps are pretty expensive but nowhere near the $1500 it costs to have it as a factory option. You can buy all the OEM stuff for a third of that price actually (buying the components separately instead of as an optioned package).

I've installed aftermarket plug and play kits on alot of my friends' cars. All of them had OEM halogen projectors since they were newer vehicles, so they don't scatter the light like halogen reflectors, although one of the cars I used did have reflectors but had the proper cutoff, so maybe reflectors are better now.....anyways although I'd wish xenon headlights would come on all cars, I'd highly recommend just getting a plug and play kit and installing that. Significant improvement over OEM halogen lighting....and the bulbs last a long time, about 3 times longer than halogen bulbs.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
In America its kind of marketed as a luxury item. Bulbs, harnesses, and ballasts aren't that expensive really. Projector headlamps are pretty expensive but nowhere near the $1500 it costs to have it as a factory option. You can buy all the OEM stuff for a third of that price actually (buying the components separately instead of as an optioned package).

I've installed aftermarket plug and play kits on alot of my friends' cars. All of them had OEM halogen projectors since they were newer vehicles, so they don't scatter the light like halogen reflectors, although one of the cars I used did have reflectors but had the proper cutoff, so maybe reflectors are better now.....anyways although I'd wish xenon headlights would come on all cars, I'd highly recommend just getting a plug and play kit and installing that. Significant improvement over OEM halogen lighting....and the bulbs last a long time, about 3 times longer than halogen bulbs.

Thank you Mr. Wizard!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's required in the US like in the EU, but every car I've had with Xenons had a self-leveling feature which adds to the cost.

You can always tell the idiots who just slapped on some Xenon aftermarket conversion by the irritating glare.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adaptive Xenon Projectors w/ Auto-Leveling are absolutely wonderful.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Replaced both my xenon bulbs on the m3 after 5 years the F***ers burned out. I paid 125 a pop and that is employee cost, retail is over 2 bills a piece.

KBW

Reaction score
I replace mine every 2 years it seems. The first car I had them on was my 03 g35 I bought new late 02 and I only had it 3 years and I replaced them. I recently replaced them in my RR but only because I wanted a different "color".

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Replaced both my xenon bulbs on the m3 after 5 years the F***ers burned out. I paid 125 a pop and that is employee cost, retail is over 2 bills a piece.

You overpaid....do a search on Phillips D2S 85122+ 4300K. That is the bulb you need (unless D2S is not what your car uses, then use the appropriate size).... the phillips 85122+ bulbs are the best OEM HID replacement bulbs. In fact many current manufacturers do use phillips but they use the older 85122 (not +). And they are MUCH cheaper than $125/bulb you paid for. Not sure which brand you purchased but time and time again Phillips has proven superior in bulb technology.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads