• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xenon Lights

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Although this option for most highline vehicles came out years ago, it still appears to be an option & you rarely see them on sub $25K cars.

So my question is why aren't they more standard or popular on cars today. I thought most cars by now would have them standard but as I was driving into work today I think maybe only 1% (if that) had Xenon lights.
eh.gif
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
$$$$
 

DNW

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
9,976
Reaction score
6
More like $$$, but still, the domestics and Japanese are somewhat behind the Europeans in putting Xenons in their lower end cars.
 

greg_atlanta

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
846
Reaction score
0
And pricey to replace too. They're supposed to last the life of the car, but doesn't always work out that way.
 

rebenga

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
And pricey to replace too. They're supposed to last the life of the car, but doesn't always work out that way.

Are people still stealing these? That seems very.. 2004 or something.
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Okay, so it's just coming down to cost. Makes sense.
 

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
1,962
Reaction score
54
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Xeon bulbs for my car range from $75 - $150

Standard bulbs for my car range from $5 - $25




With my car, I believe the entire Xenon headlight unit must be replaced, not just a bulb.
 

PolePosition

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
388
Reaction score
0
In America its kind of marketed as a luxury item. Bulbs, harnesses, and ballasts aren't that expensive really. Projector headlamps are pretty expensive but nowhere near the $1500 it costs to have it as a factory option. You can buy all the OEM stuff for a third of that price actually (buying the components separately instead of as an optioned package).

I've installed aftermarket plug and play kits on alot of my friends' cars. All of them had OEM halogen projectors since they were newer vehicles, so they don't scatter the light like halogen reflectors, although one of the cars I used did have reflectors but had the proper cutoff, so maybe reflectors are better now.....anyways although I'd wish xenon headlights would come on all cars, I'd highly recommend just getting a plug and play kit and installing that. Significant improvement over OEM halogen lighting....and the bulbs last a long time, about 3 times longer than halogen bulbs.
 

Lucky7

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
542
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by PolePosition
In America its kind of marketed as a luxury item. Bulbs, harnesses, and ballasts aren't that expensive really. Projector headlamps are pretty expensive but nowhere near the $1500 it costs to have it as a factory option. You can buy all the OEM stuff for a third of that price actually (buying the components separately instead of as an optioned package).

I've installed aftermarket plug and play kits on alot of my friends' cars. All of them had OEM halogen projectors since they were newer vehicles, so they don't scatter the light like halogen reflectors, although one of the cars I used did have reflectors but had the proper cutoff, so maybe reflectors are better now.....anyways although I'd wish xenon headlights would come on all cars, I'd highly recommend just getting a plug and play kit and installing that. Significant improvement over OEM halogen lighting....and the bulbs last a long time, about 3 times longer than halogen bulbs.


Thank you Mr. Wizard!
 

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
11,043
Reaction score
22,384
I don't think it's required in the US like in the EU, but every car I've had with Xenons had a self-leveling feature which adds to the cost.

You can always tell the idiots who just slapped on some Xenon aftermarket conversion by the irritating glare.
 

username79

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
2,102
Reaction score
15
Adaptive Xenon Projectors w/ Auto-Leveling are absolutely wonderful.
 

jet

Persian Bro
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
22,391
Reaction score
11,133
Replaced both my xenon bulbs on the m3 after 5 years the F***ers burned out. I paid 125 a pop and that is employee cost, retail is over 2 bills a piece.
 

KBW

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2007
Messages
975
Reaction score
0
I replace mine every 2 years it seems. The first car I had them on was my 03 g35 I bought new late 02 and I only had it 3 years and I replaced them. I recently replaced them in my RR but only because I wanted a different "color".
 

PolePosition

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
388
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by jet
Replaced both my xenon bulbs on the m3 after 5 years the F***ers burned out. I paid 125 a pop and that is employee cost, retail is over 2 bills a piece.

You overpaid....do a search on Phillips D2S 85122+ 4300K. That is the bulb you need (unless D2S is not what your car uses, then use the appropriate size).... the phillips 85122+ bulbs are the best OEM HID replacement bulbs. In fact many current manufacturers do use phillips but they use the older 85122 (not +). And they are MUCH cheaper than $125/bulb you paid for. Not sure which brand you purchased but time and time again Phillips has proven superior in bulb technology.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
503,195
Messages
10,564,276
Members
223,393
Latest member
Terispoulos
Top