1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

X5 vs. ML vs. HSE (2003-2006)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by hrb, Oct 30, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The G wagon looks cool but drives like a cement truck. Just try driving one.

2. hrb

hrb Senior member

I was eyeing the Cayenne's. With respect to the G wagon. where do you live? I would take one over any of those i mentioned, however, they're about double the price in canada (Vancouver) of the other vehicles discussed, for the same model years mentioned.

3. GusW

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. When I drove the G Wagon they were about on par with a RR in price. (2004)

I suppose if they came in camo and had a machine gun turret I might have considered one :)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. hrb

hrb Senior member

the nice thing about them (the g's) over the ranges etc. is their lack of electronic rubbish. I am looking for something comfy, roomy, and (at least somewhat) reliable, that isn't ugly as sin. and can go offroad/ski hills etc if needs be. hmm. g wagon. proxy? :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. GusW

I wouldn't call a g wagon comfy. I would hate to ride in the back seat (more like a bench) for more than a short ride But, if you want something more like a heavy duty truck you might like it. They do look cool.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I live in Japan - an '03 G500 with the revised interior is about the same as an 03-04 RR HSE (not the Vogue) about $30K or a little more since the exchange rate is crazy- X5's and ML's are definitely half that. Cayennes S's and Turbos are about the same as the G and RR HSE, maybe a little more expensive because they are newer. I wouldn't want a Cayenne though.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The Tiguan is based on a golf, so I wouldn't compare it to a SUV, it's more like a golf on stilts.

8. GreenNYC

GreenNYC Senior member

I have an '04 RR HSE and really have had very few complaints with reliability. I purchased it new and figured I would only keep it for the term of the warranty but given that I had so few issues I just hung onto it. Also helps that the body style really hasn't changed over the years. I understand that the model is due for a major re-design launching next year as a 2013 model, but who knows. I figure its in the shop maybe 2-3 times a year. Once for the mandatory service and once for little things....last time it was the cupholder getting jammed shut and the license plate bulb needing replacement. The only major repair I've had was this past year when the front left air suspension went out. IIRC it cost around $1,200 to fix. Presumably the right side will fail at some time as well. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with reliability....and I was as apprehensive as anybody about the reputation for reliability.

I occasionally think about replacing it but I don't really care for any of the alternatives out there right now. The possible exception would be the Cayenne Turbo. When it was introduced I thought it was horrendous looking but somehow with fairly minor tweaks they've managed to make it quite attractive.