• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)

Hop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Also I laughed really hard when shaw said humans would enslave mutants, and it cut to Darwin.

Everybody (including myself) in the theater laughed at this...mind you I was in a predominately Black theater.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Time for the Rambo report:

The good: Fassabender was EXCELLENT. Really killed the part. McAvoy I thought did quite well with his role but wasn't given as much material to work with. Whoever said that this should have been titled Magneto: Origins was spot on. A slight tweak in the script and it would have been very easy to make it all about him. Even though I thought he was a poor fit physically, I liked Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw. He got the character down pretty well. Azazel wasn't too bad either although, I don't ever remember him being a red version of Nightcrawler.

The Bad: This is going to be long.

First - what the **** did they do to the Hellfire Club? It was always a group of rich white aristocratic mutants. Where the **** did they get the idea to inlcude Azazel and the Azn tornado guy. By the way, who the **** was he? What was his mutant name, Swirly?

Second - January Jones should be beaten with a piece of heavy mining equipment and left bleeding on the side of the road. This would most likely improve her acting ability. Holy **** was that a terrible casting choice. Just awful.

Third - I don't ever remember reading about Shaw being able to either a)absorb a ******* nuclear reactor, or b)being able to then shoot energy. Every memory I have of him in the comics is of becoming a tank after absorbing energy, not turning into a nuclear bomb.

Fourth - All of the X-Men sucked. All of them. Especially Captain Hula Hoop and Beast. Since when could Beast run like Quicksilver? Jesus.

Fifth - When was Moira McTaggert ever in the CIA? I didn't quite get where they came up with that one.

Overall, a good watch, and probably the best X-Men movie to date. But, I still don't know why they continually have to **** up the movies with these ****** details.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Where the **** did they get the idea to inlcude Azazel and the Azn tornado guy. By the way, who the **** was he? What was his mutant name, Swirly?

Sam_6.png

eh.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First - what the **** did they do to the Hellfire Club? It was always a group of rich white aristocratic mutants. Where the **** did they get the idea to inlcude Azazel and the Azn tornado guy. By the way, who the **** was he? What was his mutant name, Swirly?

Asian?

This guy? He's suppose to be Riptide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riptide_(comics)
riptide-xmen-first-class.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Asian? This guy? He's suppose to be Riptide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riptide_(comics)
He looked Philipino-ish to me. You sure you got the right mutant:
Riptide is a mutant with the ability to spin his body at an incredibly fast rate. He also has the ability to generate calcium growth from his bones that protrude through his skin, often taking the form of shurikens and spikes. When he spins, Riptide can release these growths at will from his skin, the additional velocity that comes from his spinning making them lethal missiles that can even punch through steel.

reezy

Reaction score
It's the right guy. Google it yourself if you have doubts. Did not like angel.
Thought the whole bit of how magneto was responsible for xavier's demise to a wheel chair was more awesome than the comic version

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reezy
It's the right guy. Google it yourself if you have doubts. Did not like angel.
Thought the whole bit of how magneto was responsible for xavier's demise to a wheel chair was more awesome than the comic version

yes, this I liked very much. Seriously though, this film was such a waste of talent. Also, Shaw's diabolic plan ranks up there with the worst of them. my favorite scene, however, has to be when magneto goes to argentina.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The good: Fassabender was EXCELLENT. Really killed the part. McAvoy I thought did quite well with his role but wasn't given as much material to work with. Whoever said that this should have been titled Magneto: Origins was spot on. A slight tweak in the script and it would have been very easy to make it all about him. Even though I thought he was a poor fit physically, I liked Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw. He got the character down pretty well. Azazel wasn't too bad either although, I don't ever remember him being a red version of Nightcrawler.

Second - January Jones should be beaten with a piece of heavy mining equipment and left bleeding on the side of the road. This would most likely improve her acting ability. Holy **** was that a terrible casting choice. Just awful.

Third - I don't ever remember reading about Shaw being able to either a)absorb a ******* nuclear reactor, or b)being able to then shoot energy. Every memory I have of him in the comics is of becoming a tank after absorbing energy, not turning into a nuclear bomb.

Fourth - All of the X-Men sucked. All of them. Especially Captain Hula Hoop and Beast. Since when could Beast run like Quicksilver? Jesus.

Fifth - When was Moira McTaggert ever in the CIA? I didn't quite get where they came up with that one.

Overall, a good watch, and probably the best X-Men movie to date. But, I still don't know why they continually have to **** up the movies with these ****** details.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He looked Philipino-ish to me. You sure you got the right mutant:

Did you read the section directly under the part you quoted?

Actor Ãlex González portrays the antagonist, Riptide in the 2011 film X-Men: First Class.[3] In the film, Riptide is a mutant with the ability to create powerful whirlwinds from his hands and also by spinning his body at great speed.[4]

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid flick. That's about the best I can say about it. It wasn't amazing, but I couldn't fault it. I think either my movie tastes are changing, or else films are getting worse. The best movies I've seen in the last couple years are still just "meh". Every film is solidily produced, well acted, and just boring. Thor was ****. Inception, the golden boy of last year was crap.

First Class had great casting, and I found the 60s vibe very fun. It felt rushed, but rushed well. There was a lot of ground to cover, and they got through it. Now they have a solid base established, I think the second film will be a major improvement. Focus on a few major characters, and a slower paced but richer plot line.

Darwin totally isn't dead. I assume he evolved into some energy based creature.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my gripe:

I have no problem with the filmmakers abandoning continuity. That said, don't **** with the characters. There are roughly 1.8 million Xmen characters. If A character does not fit what you need him/her to be, pick a different character...or even create a new one. Don't do stupid **** like put Moira McTaggart in the CIA or make Angel Zoe ******* Kravitz.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
or make Angel Zoe ******* Kravitz.

To be fair, this isn't Angel as in Archangel. It is Angel Salvadore iirc and based on that character, I have no problemw ith Zoe playing her.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it stupid how Magneto killed Shaw. It was poetic. However, the energy would have still been absorbed by shaw. Just because he was in a "frozen" state did not mean his powers were frozen.
Shaw is supposed to be a ******* indestructible energy absorbing mutant.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
Does anyone else find it stupid how Magneto killed Shaw. It was poetic. However, the energy would have still been absorbed by shaw. Just because he was in a "frozen" state did not mean his powers were frozen.
Shaw is supposed to be a ******* indestructible energy absorbing mutant.

I think it was due to how slow he put the coin in through his head that there was practically no force? I am not physics expert but that does kind of make sense to me.

Or another explanation is he controls the force he absorbs, like he has to be aware that something is going to hit him and use his powers to absorb. Like if he got shot but is unaware he was going to get hit he won't be able to absorb the force. So the same can be said when he is frozen, he can't control his powers so he couldn't absorb it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

See, it is possible for you to give decent reviews instead of just saying "this sucks" and "that sucks." I agree with most of the negatives, Moira is supposed to be a geneticist/scientist herself but in here she is just some dumb CIA chick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads