• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I think it was due to how slow he put the coin in through his head that there was practically no force? I am not physics expert but that does kind of make sense to me.

Or another explanation is he controls the force he absorbs, like he has to be aware that something is going to hit him and use his powers to absorb. Like if he got shot but is unaware he was going to get hit he won't be able to absorb the force. So the same can be said when he is frozen, he can't control his powers so he couldn't absorb it.

Well in the comics its always been any attack on him at all. Whether bullets, rockets, swords, or optic blasts. Storm did once freeze an area where Shaw was and he escaped before it was too late. But nothing really resulted from that to accurately answer the question.

There was a transfer of energy even if he was frozen. So the energy should have been transferred into Shaw. At the time as well he had Nuclear levels of energy, so his power should have been immense enough to counter the coin, as opposed to him not having any power and the coin then piercing him.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By now we should know better than to rely and base their powers on the comics since the movie clearly doesn't follow it.

So it really is just a guessing game at this point. I still think he has to control it or be aware of what he was absorbing to negate any damage to himself. When frozen, I see that he knows what was going on but couldn't do anything about it since he has no control. Similar to Magnetos power, he can control metals but metals doesn't automatically attach themselves to him. That's my theory at least.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the flying characters were so stupid. I laughed during the movie at the stupid butterfly character.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I viewed it as this: Xavier turned off the powers of Shaw. Only thing that makes sense.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By now we should know better than to rely and base their powers on the comics since the movie clearly doesn't follow it.

So it really is just a guessing game at this point. I still think he has to control it or be aware of what he was absorbing to negate any damage to himself. When frozen, I see that he knows what was going on but couldn't do anything about it since he has no control. Similar to Magnetos power, he can control metals but metals doesn't automatically attach themselves to him. That's my theory at least.

I guess you're right in that sense. But still to think its that simple, xavier having that kind of power really trumps everything else.

Originally Posted by L.R.
I viewed it as this: Xavier turned off the powers of Shaw. Only thing that makes sense.

Again, I guess since it wasn't explained I have to accept something like this as the reason.

confused.gif
Marvel & Fox need to get their **** together.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shaw was a plot device to show magneto's origin and subsequent flip to the dark side. it may not have made total sense but that coin going through his head was badass.

not everything's gonna match up totally with the written version and never does. i still don't really know what shaw planned on doing once he went nuclear and what the BFD was about them not disturbing him while he was absorbing but then it was OK that the sub was getting flipped over and thrown onto an island...

i thought it was a good movie and hopefully will set the bar for future installments.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moira is supposed to be a geneticist/scientist herself but in here she is just some dumb CIA chick.

Not true. She's a dumb CIA chick that looks good when she strips down to her lingerie.

reezy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.

Xavier should be able to take over people's body functions. He has done that in comics and it was shown in x2 as well. From wiki:

However, he can only take full possession of one other mind at a time, and must strictly be within that person's physical presence. He is one of the few telepaths skilled enough to communicate with animals and even share their perceptions.[90] He can also telepathically take away or control people's natural bodily functions and senses, such as sight, hearing, smell, taste, or even mutant powers .

reezy

Reaction score
To be fair, this isn't Angel as in Archangel. It is Angel Salvadore iirc and based on that character, I have no problemw ith Zoe playing her.

I believe Zoe Kravitz actually plays the character Tempest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Salvadore

The most useless character in the movie. The xmen series will do the most justice in a series instead of a movie. There's just so much characters to cover. If HBO or Showtime networks can make that happen, it would be awesome. Perhaps doing it in the Lost series format would make shoveling the character stories easier i.e. each episode focuses on one character such as Wolverine, the next Cyclops. Unfortunately, i know this will never happen.
confused.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That bomber is nice, I'm no expert but it look like it might be RLBL?
xmen-intro.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
finally got to watch it. thats about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads