• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wythe Official Thread - this ain't your meemaw's yeehaw

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest potential issue with the new pattern/sizing IMO is the sleeve length, and that's because the cuffs are quite wide. Wider than most shirt cuffs. So they can slide down the wrist and hand if they're too long. The wider and boxy body is cool - no worries there.

I agree. I tried a size down, don’t love the fit and would rather go tts. The problem is the sleeves will be too long and the cuff is too wide so it will just go over my hand. I may try a work shirt since the button is easy enough to move.

mcfly26

Reaction score
@mcfly26 I talked to Peter because I, too, missed out on the Sandy Dunes in small and he said that unfortunately, there won't be any restocks. They have it in the work shirt, but I'm more of a fan of the pearl snaps and sawtooth pockets. With that said, if anyone is looking to pass on a small - hit me up!

Am I crazy to think I should order a medium and ask a tailor to size it down slightly? Or not worth the effort? I know some good not too expensive people, but I'm more worried about the shoulders for example.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s so interesting to me how fast those went. Last year’s coat was incredible, had a really special fabric - and it took a while to sell. I even ended grabbing one late in the season ??‍♂️

1CAE9F30-1EE7-44CB-9C79-4B3A7868A788.jpeg 11456C3C-0EF9-4117-9595-7C0FFD4BDD34.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s so interesting to me how fast those went. Last year’s coat was incredible, had a really special fabric - and it took a while to sell. I even ended grabbing one late in the season ??‍♂️

View attachment 1688927 View attachment 1688928

I'd have to guess the more striking pattern on last year's caused the slower pace compared to the coats this year, which are (IMO) easier to envision in almost any wardrobe. I think this year's coat could be your only heavy coat, where last years, I'm guessing, would only be bought by people who already have two or three or ten overcoats already.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are fair points in theory but (without being indiscrete) let's just say that I don't think (m)any of the coats this season went to people who don't have other coats...

kevenmee

Reaction score
Those are fair points in theory but (without being indiscrete) let's just say that I don't think (m)any of the coats this season went to people who don't have other coats...

Why did you have to expose the flaws in that logic?

This is literally how I justify buying stuff I don't actually need - it's so versatile, I can wear it whenever or it's so well made, it's going to last years.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The argument is sound though: this year's bals are more versatile. And it's also true that we convince ourselves to buy more versatile garments.

For people around here though, I don't believe versatility is really an issue. Is trying to get 5.12 million possible combinations for our closet vs 2.56 million a real consideration? I think many of us here would be happier going for more unique garments when we have a big wardrobe, rather than continue to seek versatility.

Anyhow, not complaining that it sold so well, but as I was wearing last year's coat today, it struck me as really odd that such an awesome piece did not get anywhere near the same traction as this year's bals.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The argument is sound though: this year's bals are more versatile. And it's also true that we convince ourselves to buy more versatile garments.

For people around here though, I don't believe versatility is really an issue. Is trying to get 5.12 million possible combinations for our closet vs 2.56 million a real consideration? I think many of us here would be happier going for more unique garments when we have a big wardrobe, rather than continue to seek versatility.

Anyhow, not complaining that it sold so well, but as I was wearing last year's coat today, it struck me as really odd that such an awesome piece did not get anywhere near the same traction as this year's bals.

I still think (even here) there have to be a fair number of people who aren't interested in buying a coat they might only wear 2 or 3 times a year. I know there are a lot of people who do have huge wardrobes and don't mind having such a distinct piece, but it's certainly not 100% of the forum.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your points. I do think that's the main reason. And also the shape: raglan coats are cool.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a nice image !

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new moleskins are the same cut as last year's version, or do they have the more recent (and forgiving) cut like the other new pearl snap flannels?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@eddiemczee that image is from our fall lookbook last year (featuring @Trayco and shot by @dimarzio). It's last year's olive colorway

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads